Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380337 times)

0 Members and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #405 on: July 23, 2010, 02:45:40 am »

I'm not much into hip hop but I do love a melbourne group called Hilltop Hoods.

Scroobius pip also makes it onto every mix-tape I make.

For ages I associated hip hop with gangster rap and I care about lyrics too much so singing about bitches and shorties and drive bys just pissed me off. I like the non-gangster hip hop though and of course the nerdcore is the bizzledy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #406 on: July 23, 2010, 07:45:29 am »

I don't know if we are making a hip hop/ rap distinction here(don't really know what the difference is), but I really dig Illmatic by Nas, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is better than Black Planet, and ATLiens by Outkast could be one of the top ten albums ever made, you know, depending on the day.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTH9D0epTs 

Oh and the new Big Boi album has a track with George Clinton.  It is pretty bad ass.  About dope:  smoke, don't choke seems to be the moral.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:51 am »

people keep telling me that about nation of millions, but I just don't get it. i need to listen to it again, obviously.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #408 on: July 23, 2010, 08:18:14 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MjgcNXZLs

This song alone makes it one of the greatest hip hop albums ever.  My favorite part is "stay strong sister."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:23:37 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #409 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »

Paul, I suggest you check out Mos Def.  Not just because white people like Mos Def, but because I like him, and I like the other hip hop acts you said you enjoyed.

Also, A Tribe Called Quest.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2010, 01:09:23 pm »

As to what I'm listening to:  the new National album, High Violet.  Oh yes, very much so.
http://vimeo.com/11653518
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44:32 pm »

mos def and common are both rad hip hop dudes that talk about 'the streets' a lot, but dont glorify ignorance/negativity.

(rap is part of hip hop)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »

My friend Emma sings on this.

I told her the price was exorbitant, but I bought it anyway.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #413 on: July 24, 2010, 05:20:37 am »

I can't recommend Jurassic 5 highly enough.  Literate MCs with real skills?  Oh yes, please.  Unfortunately their label is aggressive about takedowns and they've only uploaded 4 videos of their own to Youtube, but still.  They're good at what they do.

If You Only Knew
Quality Control (title track from an excellent album)
Concrete Schoolyard
High Fidelity
I Am Somebody
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #414 on: July 24, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

Gangsta rap was mercilessly executed when 50 Cent released his second album.  Gangsta rap - true gangsta rap - was the height of hip-hop and best of it was fueled by feuds.  But after Tupac and Biggie were no longer producing music, gangsta rap basically became a quest to answer the question, 'who is the most gangsta?'

Well after his first album, Get Rich or Die Trying, 50 Cent had answered that question.  The album created the most powerful image in rap's history.  And then every album he released after that was an effortless pop hackjob piece of crap.  The talent had disappeared.  50 had won "the rap game" more decisively than any MC in history and then, with his popularity, he cut the head off the chicken.  Gangsta rap was dead.

So since 2005, this proverbial chicken has been running around waiting to die.  The only really significant albums since then have been a few of Kanye's, and maybe arguably a pair from Lil' Wayne.  That's because in the post-gangsta era, these two were the only artists to introduce touches of psychedelia into the music and they benefited greatly.  So that brings us to the lastest Eminem album which will probably be the last hip-hop ever recorded with any effort going into it.

Now there is officially nothing new that can possibly be done within the rap/hip-hop genre without removing it from that genre.  DEAD GENRE.  There are no gangstas anymore.  Where have all the gangstas gone?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #415 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:02 pm »

Here is a DJ Format jam that not only features dudes from Jurassic 5, but has an awesome video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhZt4i92aSA

Supposedly the MCs were supposed to come to the video shoot but didn't, so in a last-minute effort to save the day, the director went out and got the costumes for the backup dancers and had them go to town.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #416 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:15 pm »

lately I am so tired of playing chords.

I am all about Real Estate.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #417 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

I like rap and like talking about it. The new Big Boi is very good. Better than Speakerboxxx, which I also like. I don't think I've ever heard melancholy done better in rap than Unhappy from that album. Second the ATLiens recommendation, throw in Aquemini too.

And of course Illmatic, which really should serve as a template for all rap records. Excellent production, no obnoxious skits, absolutely no filler and flawless delivery on every track.

Enough can never be said about Public Enemy. I'm not an expert on the history of rap, but they may have been the first really sonically interesting group. It was all pretty basic before them.

Other favorites, somewhat in order, and off the top of my head:

Liquid Swords -- GZA
Madvillainy -- Madvillain (Madlib and MF Doom)
The Unseen -- Quasimoto (Madlib)
The Blueprint -- Jay-Z
Enter the Wu-Tang
2001 -- Dr. Dre
Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP -- Eminem
Champion Sound -- Jaylib (Madlib and J Dilla)
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, the original and "sequel" (though quite different) -- Raekwon
Supreme Clientele -- Ghostface
The Chronic, Doggystyle and other various Dr. Dre stuff from the early 90s
The Pretty Toney Album and giraffescale -- Ghostface
Purple Haze -- Cam'ron
Ridin' Dirty -- UGK
Dr. No's Oxperiment -- Oh No (Madlib's brother)

Also, it's worth checking out as much J Dilla as you can. Maybe start with Donuts? That would probably be somewhere on that list.

Edit: My favorite J Dilla track.

Not really rap or hip-hop, though the influence is there and heavy, but I love the new Flying Lotus, Cosmogramma.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:49:54 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #418 on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:24 am »

holy shit this free thing

ty segall, thee oh sees, best coast, king khan, times new viking, nodzzz, happy birthday... YES.

I LOVE ROCK MUSIC.

I will trade so many days of work with people in order to make sure I can go to this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #419 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:17 pm »

ty segall, thee oh sees, best coast, king khan, times new viking, nodzzz, happy birthday... YES.

oh my god i'm old
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 190   Go Up