Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379687 times)

0 Members and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1860 on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »

Anybody here familiar with Gil Mellé? I was watching Columbo (the greatest detective ever at catching a killer who is hiding in plain sight) and was really digging on the Jazzy score. I got the name from the credits.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1861 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:50 pm »

I'm re-listening to a Brazilian band from the 90s called "Los Hermanos" (great job with your band name, assholes, as if people enough already didn't think Buenos Aires is Brazil's capital...). Some of you may know "Little Joy", a band that one of the Los Hermanos guys formed with the drummer from the Strokes. Anyway, they have some delightfully morose stuff for rainy days like

Os Pássaros (The Birds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBRFaia07s - some cool watery guitars in this one.

Sentimental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFmuQfDS2A

And some cuter, perhaps too cute (but you're safe from excessive mawkishness by the language barrier), poppier stuff like

Último Romance (Last Romance): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmaexjvNu4s&feature=fvst

O Vento (The Wind): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXRSBsG9myY

I dig the resigned melancholy, I do.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:25:34 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1862 on: July 18, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »

Can someone please define Dubstep? This junk is everywhere but it seems like everyone has a different idea of what is and isnt dubstep.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1863 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »

Abbey Road? Brother had to even source a cassette player for this experience. Nothing like psychedelic background rhythms for closing out the book for the day.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1864 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:43 pm »

Someone showed me this song a while back and I really like it for some reason. Not really a huge Sinatra fan otherwise.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1865 on: July 25, 2012, 02:11:10 am »

Holy crap.

And more holy crap.

And as always, the ultimate song of this type as far as I am concerned. Something about it makes me a little misty eyed every time. Which... you might imagine is a fairly typical reaction for an InEv. It is not. Not for songs.

HOLY FUCK. I think Arthur Russell is the coolest ever. This last one is the coolest song and I have been listening to it on repeat for a while now. Although obviously very different from the first 3.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:37:05 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1866 on: August 02, 2012, 01:53:55 am »

I thought it was some kind of Onion-esque rumor, but it looks like Snoop Dogg really did change his name to Snoop Lion and is doing reggae now.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1867 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:41 am »

what in the actual fuck
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1868 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:15 am »

the internet told me that he went to jamaica and had a spiritual epiphany after talking to a rastafarian priest(?).  who knows if thats the actual deal, or its just a publicity thing.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1869 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:02 am »

expectation-tame impala

psychedelic, man.  these dudes are pretty good.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1870 on: August 04, 2012, 04:31:32 am »

expectation-tame impala

psychedelic, man.  these dudes are pretty good.

Enjoyed.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1871 on: August 08, 2012, 09:23:15 pm »

A friend made me listen to tame impala the other day, I told him it sounded like Tortoise mixed with The Beatles.  What I meant was it sounded like Tortoise mixed with the Beatles with a generous portion of boringness added.  Will check that track when I get on a computer, I know they have a new album coming our, maybe I'll like it more.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1872 on: August 10, 2012, 04:20:57 am »

A friend of mine posted a vid by Greek Singer Demis Roussos. I really enjoyed it quite a lot, the guy has a great voice. Curios I Googled him and apparently, back in the late 60s and early 70s he played in a band with Vangelis, who I've always placed on the same shelf as Yanni, perhaps unfairly.

But Wikipedia says Aphrodite's Child were a rock band so I gave them a listen. This one is pretty bad ass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1873 on: August 10, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

But Wikipedia says Aphrodite's Child were a rock band so I gave them a listen. This one is pretty bad ass.

Hey, I know that song.  Cool. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 190   Go Up