Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381198 times)

0 Members and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2010 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:17 am »

But also, just, lap steel guitar is so fantastic.

It's used to nice effect here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2011 on: February 07, 2013, 05:25:39 pm »

re: mumford/etc.: i never thought i would think folk music is exceptionally good.

I've never listened, but I'm pretty sure you still don't.

Keith has got it right. I was just saying this to someone else - I never listened to these guys because from all the descriptions they sounded like a bunch of Brits imitating a bluegrass band, but it turns out, they are totally not. They are a rock band that knows how to play acoustic instruments and sings a lot of harmony.

As someone who has a lot of experience in folk music - I mean actual traditional music, not stuff written by live people - it always feels to me like people go all "folk! folk!" about music that really only adopts a little tiny bit of folk elements. Apparently it only takes a tiny bit of banjo on a couple of songs to make a group seem very American-traditional-folky to the average listener. When in actuality, many people who love this group would scream and poke their own eardrums out if trapped at a bluegrass concert (myself included).

I'm not saying this to insult those people. I'm just saying, their descriptions of music make no sense to me, so they tend to steer me in the wrong direction, which in this case was away from this group, when it turns out I am really enjoying some of their music quite a lot.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2012 on: February 07, 2013, 05:59:35 pm »

I can't speak to their authenticity, I just find them boring, but I've only heard one or two songs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2013 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:57 pm »

I don't think authenticity is even an issue. They are not trying to be anything other than what they are.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2014 on: February 11, 2013, 06:31:50 pm »

Hey, the Mumford boys won the big prize last night at the Grammys. I didn't realize they were British.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2015 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:11 pm »

Everyday should be minutemen (double nickels) day!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2016 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »

a rad chill psychedelic jam:

curly giraffe-adolescent love
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2017 on: February 20, 2013, 05:49:06 am »

The really fuzzed out/overloaded guitar at around 1:30 into this is driving me crazy. Also a huge fan of the stuttering drum beat.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:33:51 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2018 on: February 20, 2013, 06:16:33 am »

Shots, Neil Young & Cra-zy hoss

So Bad-ass
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2019 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:48 am »

That is a neat song.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2020 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »

You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2021 on: February 20, 2013, 03:35:13 pm »

You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E

That's pretty much the Achilles heel of every band that never made it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2022 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:01 pm »

That's pretty much the Achilles heel of every band that never made it.

Having said that I like that song and his voice doesn't bother me at all*.

*Yes, I made my comment before listening to the song.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2023 on: February 20, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »

You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E

I'm with you.  Like the music, do not like the voice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2024 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:50 am »

HUMP DAY...NOW ENHANCED!

I don't guess I ever noticed that dude has a woman's lips.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 190   Go Up