Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382295 times)

0 Members and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2100 on: May 23, 2013, 04:42:59 pm »

When are you cosmic cowboys going to get it in your head?

Possibly my favorite Weird Al song. His take on hippie culture in the 70s.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2101 on: May 23, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

Yeah, when this was released in '81 it was part of the '80's movement to take the '70's out back and put it in the ground.


Ran across this site earlier and been thinking about the 70s and 80s all day.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2102 on: May 23, 2013, 07:57:24 pm »

Heh.  I found Paul.  About a third of the way down the page.

I kind of figured it might happen.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2103 on: May 24, 2013, 07:23:55 am »

That one and the one right after it. Those are both me.

I'm pretty sure I'm higher than hell in both of those photos. Good times!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:27:17 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2104 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

That one and the one right after it. Those are both me.


Well it is, isn't it.  How about that.

Beer tastes even better when you're submerged in river/lake water, doesn't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2105 on: May 24, 2013, 03:01:08 pm »

Beer tastes even better when you're submerged in river/lake water, doesn't it?

It's actually the ocean, but yeah!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2106 on: May 24, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »

Coincidentally ran across this thread on Metafilter yesterday and was also thinking about the 80s all day.

And some of these are amusing as well.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2107 on: May 25, 2013, 04:57:40 am »

I just watched a movie called Fat Kid Rules the World. It's not a great movie, although I did enjoy it. But I really loved the soundtrack. I would watch this movie again just to hear the incidental music. I paid special attention to the credits to find out that the music was done by Mike McCready of Pearl Jam. If you happen to watch this film pay special attention to the music. Especially the scene where the hero reaches his nadir.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2108 on: May 26, 2013, 01:11:07 am »

I just realized how good of a name birdcloud is.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2109 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:55 am »

It is very hard for me to not repeatedly listen to the best rock and roll song ever recorded:  Dirt by The Stooges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYXV2RrwIs

I say best rock song somewhat flippantly (it is certainly tied with like 100-1000 others for that top spot though), but seriously, a perfect groove that doesn't really change, the perfect amount of guitar and guitar effects, and lyrics that anyone with any type of experiences and ability to think about their life can associate with, sung by someone who sounds infinitely cooler/harder/more experienced than you- does it get better in rock than that?  Oh- and the lyrics are depressing but also uplifting.

here are some other, different sounding, perfect songs:

Olivia Tremor Control- Jumping Fences:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjd6DHAutU

Bob Dylan- It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biqqz0aoOtY

Queens of the Stone Age- The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0nzPpvbFs

Cloud Nothings- Hey Cool Kid:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1A3LKdgljM

JEFF the Brotherhood- Bone Jam:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wmFRSVAKw

Quix*O*Tic- Anonymous Face:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970CL4BIMU4

and like a few hundred more (I didn't even include Cinnamon Girl! Or the Pixies, or the Damned ororororororor).  Also, personal story time:  One time I was listening to the last song with my roommate.  We had just gotten high on herb and were going to go to a party- he was all, hey, lets go after this song.  His ipod or whatever was accidentally on repeat one, and the album cut of that song doesn't have the space at the end- we probably listened to that song for 20 minutes before we realized and left.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2110 on: May 30, 2013, 02:27:53 am »

But, well, two more maybe you haven't heard

Electronicat- Wop Do Wop- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeXA_QhL6M

Elton Motello- Jet Boy, Jet Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B2D2gwms0
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2111 on: June 03, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »

I got pretty excited for Baths' new release (here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zbKlC9YDU in its entirety) , but it quickly fell on the meh side. No Past Lives is damn interesting, tho': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dvAJWWVrkE

Also discovered Spiritualized and am digging it. Hey, it's only been 16 years...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2112 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:32 am »

Spacemen 3 might be my favorite band!  Spacemen 3 is definitely the only band shirt I have.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2113 on: June 04, 2013, 03:24:04 am »

Also discovered Spiritualized and am digging it. Hey, it's only been 16 years...

Which album(s)?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2114 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:27 am »

Man, they are all good- well, up to and including Ladies...  The one right after has a few choice cuts as well.  I also have a setlist from a Spiritualized show.  That is literally the only band merch type stuff I own, the shirt and setlist, neither of which are band merch really.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 190   Go Up