Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380553 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2115 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »

Which album(s)?

Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2116 on: June 05, 2013, 01:16:47 am »

Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?

To me that is their undisputed masterpiece. But it's the only album I've spent a lot of time with. I liked Lazer Guided Melodies and Let It Come Down just fine, as far as I can recall. And then the two most recent albums are OK. But I've only listened to each maybe twice.

Keith clearly knows a lot more about J and his discography, especially the Spacemen 3 stuff. Which is very much worth a listen.

But Ladies and Gentlemen..., that is a remarkable album. I saw him perform it in its entirety with a band and like full gospel choir a few years ago. Pretty fuck*ng awesome. I saw him recently and it was good, but not nearly as good as the Ladies and Gentlemen... show.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2117 on: June 05, 2013, 03:09:49 am »

You guys know anything about various musics of Brazil? There is a great local radio show that has gotten me interested. All I know is Caetano Veloso. All I want is polyrhythms. Now I realize they put their playlists online, but I always like hearing suggestions.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2118 on: June 05, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

You guys know anything about various musics of Brazil?

Hello there.

Ahm, ok, no, actually I don't know as much about Brazilian music as most of my friends, but I suppose I can give you some names.

Tom Zé: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74Qo9PyKQ8

Secos e Molhados: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxMlfCP_pw

Nação Zumbi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmUN1x7A7o

Chico Science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3mcjjx9O0

If you want to fall in love, there's always Céu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NHsMb2OwM

This is a medley put up by an American DJ (I think he is American, can't really look into it right now). If you dig around this link you prolly can find the individual Brazilian artists that appear in the medley. Anyway I'm putting this here because the samples are all killers (go after the other medleys, they're also awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MiBMSHDn8

Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBAS4realQ

I'm a think of more stuff to put up here later.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:28:38 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2119 on: June 05, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »

Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?

Hey I've got that one. I listened to it and it kinda bored me to death.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2120 on: June 06, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »

Thank you for turning me on to the Aquabats. Here's a can.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2121 on: June 08, 2013, 03:57:48 am »

I would totally love to do that. All the young ladies want to touch my moustache.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2122 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:47 am »

I'm totally into The Band again suddenly. Yes, they are awesome! ...I shall be released...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2123 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:34 am »

I'm totally into The Band again suddenly. Yes, they are awesome! ...I shall be released...

If you haven't, you should check out Levon Helm's last two albums.  Great stuff!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2124 on: June 11, 2013, 05:41:41 am »

I've heard good things about that and I shall check it out eventually.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2125 on: June 13, 2013, 04:04:02 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2126 on: June 13, 2013, 05:10:42 am »

I did. Good news.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2127 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:11 am »

yeah, I saw that. I wish it were not in Chicago.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2128 on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

Dogggggg.

you better STOP (stop) like 60 seconds in gets me every time. J Dilla is the best. I want to find infinite albums where people create textures like this out of old soul and funk and jazz songs.

DJ Signify is close.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2129 on: June 13, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »

Man, I was so into donuts a few months ago, so good.  Never listened to anything else by him, should I?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 190   Go Up