Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380680 times)

0 Members and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2160 on: September 20, 2013, 06:34:36 pm »

I think I know why but I don't want to be a bring down.  I am right there with you man.

Oh, and the rap ones have the benefit of being racist as fuck!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2161 on: September 20, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2162 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:58 pm »

Quote
I don't exactly know why, but I really can't stand ironic bluegrass covers of pop songs.

Yup, I am right there with you. So many things going on there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2163 on: September 21, 2013, 01:49:37 pm »

2 - This album by Flying Lotus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0

I love Flying Lotus so much. He has a station in GTA V and it's pretty cool.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2164 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »

I don't exactly know why, but I really can't stand ironic bluegrass covers of pop songs.

What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2165 on: September 21, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »

What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?

Good point. I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the irony. Musicians of one genre have been covering songs from apparently disparate genres forever.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2166 on: September 21, 2013, 05:50:05 pm »

What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?

Do you think they really like that song so much they want to make it a part of their repertoire?

Good point. I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the irony.

Perhaps you're right. More likely it's a cynical bid to trick Miley Cyrus fans into listening to their music.



Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2167 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:44 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2168 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:17 pm »

no way, more like this.

I am approaching One Year of Brooklyn Zoo and I have never loved it more.

I KEEP PLANETS IN ORBIT.

There is a part in Savage Detectives where a character talks about how young men want to make art for desperate people in desperate times, while old men make art for contemplation-- it's a better business strategy because everyone is always getting older. Fuck that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2169 on: September 29, 2013, 05:15:21 pm »

Chillin' with The Square.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2170 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »

Le-let's do this:

Ed Motta - Balendoah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI

Antonio Adolfo e A Brazuca - Transamazonica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo

Beto Guedes - Pedras Rolando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2171 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »

Le-let's do this:

Ed Motta - Balendoah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI

Antonio Adolfo e A Brazuca - Transamazonica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo

Beto Guedes - Pedras Rolando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8

You're gettin' all 1972 up in here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2172 on: October 02, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

Most true. Someone invited me to a Brazilian Music group in Facebook and it's truly an embarrassment of riches. Will share more soon.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2173 on: October 06, 2013, 05:03:43 pm »

My really talented roommate recently did a one-man performance of his songs, and I was so impressed. Obviously I can hear him playing in the basement, but seeing it all put together up on stage was awesome.
Now he released recordings of some of them and I do not love the way they were recorded. I think he has said he wants to record them "for real" but someone wanted to release his basement tapes and he said sure.

Also, I don't want to have this argument again but they were released as tapes.

I really like all of his (the ones that say Strong Force) but my favorites are In a Hole and Azrael. He did a cool thing with a guitar pedal on In a Hole that is completely awesome, I can't stop being impressed by it. Especially live, seeing someone making these weird glitchy noises was very cool in the middle of a set of fingerpicking.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2174 on: October 11, 2013, 03:21:39 am »

Yesterday I put my guitar in a weird tuning (I guess it is just Open D) and learned to play this song, which is incredibly satisfying. Real Estate might be some kind of Indie Rock Kryptonite for me. They are so wimpy, but the guitars kill me. Especially when the bass drum accents each super-reverbed note. So good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 190   Go Up