Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380267 times)

0 Members and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2205 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:22 pm »

Should I start my day like this?

I mean the title is aimed right at me so I guess hell yeas and such.

Psychedelic Jungle is so totally the best!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2206 on: November 13, 2013, 11:54:01 am »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2208 on: November 14, 2013, 03:24:28 am »

dance of the headless bourgeoisie-nomeansno

this song makes me feel all kindsa jazzy and upbeat, even though its dark as fuck.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2209 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:15 pm »

The best band with the worst name played a good show last night. They just don't give a fuck, they want to have fun and play the most epic guitar possible. I've compared them (and I"m sure I am not original here) to Andrew WK with guitars. The two songs they have videos for are not my favorites, because that is how songs work.

Cool part: I guess my roommates played a show with them a while ago, so they went up and said hi. The guys in the band were incredibly friendly, happy to see them, and remembered all of their names. More importantly, my other roommate walked up and told them that he would LOVE to design a shirt or album cover for them, and they reacted really enthusiastically and offered him a lot of money right off the bat. They said they make most of their money from t-shirts, and try to have new ones every time they go on tour to a place that they've been before. Awesome.

The openers were also great. I was disappointed they were out of t-shirts in my size.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:36:40 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2210 on: November 23, 2013, 06:40:35 am »

This is the kind of shit that makes me wish I knew scales and time signatures and things. God fuck*ng damnit. Those guitars, the bass, mannn. I tried to see these guys in New York in 2008 and couldn't figure out where they were playing. God damnit.

Meanwhile me and my roommates have trouble doing anything but jamming on E. MAJOR.

(because one guy who insists on playing literally does not know what a key is, and one guy named Inev freezes up and can't remember anything as soon as other people start playing)

In 2 months we are having a band party at our house. The concept is that we make a sign-up list, and your band gets 15 minutes. The goal is to have as many bands as possible. We'll set up a PA, drums, a keyboard, 2 guitars and a bass, and the bands will just come up and play and then leave. You can play covers, originals, whatever. Right now there is dissent about how many bands one person is allowed to be in... my impulse is to start like 6 temporary bands. Country band, punk band, noisey guitar pop band, etc.

Also: I have never understood when people compare certain types of guitar playing to "masturbation" and now i get it. Playing corny blues licks is really fun, and feels great, but I don't want anyone to hear me do it. It's embarrassing, and the idea that I would do it in public is mortifying. Lately I am stuck on this thing that sounds kind of like this song. I guess I would not be embarrassed to play blues lead while someone sang. But hearing myself playing little riffs on a blues progression makes me realize immediately why headphones exist. Nobody needs to hear that.

When I play shit that sounds like something REM or the Archers of Loaf threw out 20-30 years ago, though, everyone in the neighborhood needs to hear that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2211 on: November 26, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »

It's a Thanksgiving thing.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2212 on: November 27, 2013, 06:43:19 am »

not for anyone-hot water music
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2213 on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »

ALSO: SHIT & GODDAM

You should check out Live at Slim's. Same songs, much rawer. It actually predates the studio album. I too was turned on to EODM by this board via our old long lost friend Slink, who, if you recall was nuts about anything Mark Lanegan related.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2214 on: November 27, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »

Oh man, I did not know what EODM meant, so good...that first album!!!


Also, I have maybe listened to San Berdoo Sunburn more than any song.  It's up there for sure.  And Whorehoppin'!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2215 on: November 30, 2013, 03:01:50 am »

The Fiery Furnaces, Lost at Sea.

When you download 10 years of Fluxblog annual survey's in less than a weeks time like I did it's naturally going to take awhile to sift through and process. If the record industry is paying attention it will notice that I have actually bought a few records from some of the artists I like the most on these surveys. Artists I would have never heard of if not for these surveys. The latest being The Fiery Furnaces.

This is actually the 4th song of theirs to come my way via mixdisc.  I guess it takes awhile for some things to sink in. Either that or Lost at Sea is the first song to really catch my attention.

The first thing I noticed about it is the similarity in melody to Saturday in the Park. Wikipedia says they've broken up so I guess I discover everything too late. :(
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2216 on: December 02, 2013, 11:19:27 pm »

All this time... they were rocking out in Catalunya... all this time... and we didn't know... http://www.rdio.com/artist/Refree/album/Nova_Creu_Alta/
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2217 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:31 pm »

Fuck you, Spanish bands. Just... fuck you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJH743gGBc
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2218 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:16 pm »

Overall fantastic sounds, but some of the more subtle vocal techniques here are just mindblowing: http://sahelsounds.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-cellphones
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2219 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:48 pm »

Listening nonstop to this mix. The transition from old-school ska to early reggae, it's basically tough soul music with a Jamaican tinge. Awesome stuff for driving in the snow.

I mean, REALLY. When I listen to this stuff I forget why I ever like other kinds of music. Also, music with this rhythm taught me how to dance. Something about the emphasis being on the off beat made my teenage brain finally understand that dancing is about finding the beat and moving around within it. Not just stomping down on every downbeat.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 190   Go Up