Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379555 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2295 on: February 13, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »

.......... Elton John?
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2296 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »

Uncultured people in poor places sometimes give their kids flashy-blingy names. Every country has their versions of your "Shantayquillas" or whatever. But I'm not complaining, it could have been a lot worse (it could have been "Michael Jackson").
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2297 on: February 13, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »

No one comes up to me and asks, "Are you the John Wallace?"


(The answer is, "Of course, but the guy you're thinking of is 5 years younger than me"
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2298 on: February 13, 2014, 05:55:18 pm »

"Of course, but the guy you're thinking of is 5 years younger than me"

It says right there that he's 44.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2299 on: February 13, 2014, 05:55:58 pm »

My name is actually Elton John.

It really is.

Are you named after the famous singer or did you obtain this name organically?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2300 on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »

I have no idea how it went. I'm guessing they saw the name somewhere and thought "bling".
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2301 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »

Jeeezz. I like Animal Collective very much. I remember when I did not like them... and then at some point I read that they think of themselves as creating music after the spirit of electronic music, but with acoustic instruments. So as I came to really appreciate electronic dance music, I appreciated the form of their songs. Building to an ecstatic explosion.

It is interesting to me that "experimental" music would converge with dance music, which to me is very utilitarian. What an amazing thing music is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2302 on: February 13, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »

Music and dance are inextricable, I think.  We only do one because of the other.  When we're talking about "music you can't dance to", its because we have taken the concept to an abstract level that can't be physically performed - but I think the listeners are performing a mental dance as they appreciate it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2303 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:40 pm »

Uncultured people in poor places sometimes give their kids flashy-blingy names. Every country has their versions of your "Shantayquillas" or whatever. But I'm not complaining, it could have been a lot worse (it could have been "Michael Jackson").

Or Michael Bolton.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2304 on: February 16, 2014, 05:08:03 am »

I normally hate this sort of thing, but this cover of Sweet Child O Mine really swings.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2305 on: February 16, 2014, 11:17:28 am »

When Brazil was young, full of promise, full of beans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UnVmG-DDhY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf3SQ3dVz8
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2306 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2307 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:51 am »

What do you guys think of Royals by Lourde? I'm not that crazy about it, but apparently it's super popular. Am I alone in thinking it's not that good?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2308 on: March 17, 2014, 12:53:45 am »

you're not alone, but i'm not with you. did you see the springsteen cover? i think it has some good writing, her voice is great, and its production was smart. i don't think it's a perfect song, but i enjoy it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2309 on: March 17, 2014, 11:55:03 am »

So what do you guys think of Neil Youg's Pono (check the video at the bottom of the page; those videos got me kinda in the mood)? www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw?utm_campaign=music&utm_source=nprmusic&utm_medium=facebook
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 190   Go Up