Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379272 times)

0 Members and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2490 on: March 12, 2015, 05:45:50 pm »

I've been mad obsessed with Deer Tick and The Babies for a bit now.

Deer Tick had some demo type things he released on a CD-R called Greatest Hits before he got signed, then re recorded most of them with a band and ruined them.  So, it is hard to get the right versions on you tube, but just get Deer Tick- Greatest Hits if you know where to get stuff.

The Babies are so dope. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_5yQiPKwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjCMkLkQW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqK1OK2ILo

Oh, and Parquet Courts are just the best band, but I think I already said that.  Thanks for the tip on them Paul.  Teenage Cool Kids are real good too (that is the main dudes first band.)

Found the right Deer Tick!  Just type Deer Tick Greatest Hits into you tube, here is the first track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUeSD-OeAg
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2491 on: March 13, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »

Because listening to only one song at a time is for chumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1H_iy8Kqcw
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2492 on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2493 on: March 13, 2015, 04:42:42 pm »

The Hotline:Miami soundtrack is blowing my mind. Slick 80s sounds. Scary 80s sounds. Jesus.

Also the game is impossible. I can't get past the first level because I have shitty reflexes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2494 on: March 14, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »

The Babies are so dope.

Not to be confused with The Babys.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2495 on: March 14, 2015, 08:19:46 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2496 on: March 15, 2015, 04:57:10 am »

Very cool video (watch it).

Remember when there were so many posts on TOUAMB that it made sense to ignore some? Like making this thread so WOMBAT could ignore music posts? Things done changed...

I still don't read the fantasy sports threads. Maybe I am missing important Content.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2497 on: March 15, 2015, 06:20:56 am »

Tonight I got drunk and listened to The Strokes. I went to see them in 8th or 9th grade and the ad for that concert was the first time I heard of the conceot of "hipster."

recently I played Parquet Courts for my brother and I said I thought it sounded like the strokes but more raw, "didn't you like them? I remember you liking them"...
"yeah in like 10th grade."

harsh bro. harsh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2498 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

People always say they sound like the strokes, and like, I see it obviously, but I totally totally don't see it too.

In that vice documentary they did someone asks what they sound like and one of the film crew says they're from New York and sound kinda like the strokes.  The guy who asked what they sound like responded someone has to.  That's my favorite response ever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2499 on: March 15, 2015, 04:36:46 pm »

I feel like they do some of the same guitar moves as the strokes, but in a way that is less polished/restrained. More punky energy.

I also read that the drummer learned to drum by imitating Strokes records.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2500 on: March 15, 2015, 11:48:47 pm »

So they're like a strokier Strokes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2501 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »

The Austin 100. NPR's curated list of upcoming bands playing at SXSW this year.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2502 on: March 16, 2015, 01:38:15 am »

I don't think we made this thread so I could ignore it. Maybe we made a movie thread so I could ignore it? I definitely can't keep up with this thread though. It's a really big deal for me to decide I like a band. It takes a lot of research. Clicking on all the links in this thread would be, I don't know, too much of a commitment or something. If I don't feel like I have time to stop and listen and seriously consider, I don't want to do it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2503 on: March 16, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »

I don't much care for "I don't like this thing that everyone else likes" posts. For the most part, who gives a shit, let people like what they like.

But I gotta say: I cannot get into Courtney Barnett. She has some positive elements (the guitars, mostly), but her speak-singing style is just not a thing I can listen to over and over again. And she's apparently on every freaking podcast I listen to, and I have to fast-forward through it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2504 on: March 21, 2015, 06:31:05 pm »

The Hotline:Miami soundtrack is blowing my mind. Slick 80s sounds. Scary 80s sounds. Jesus.

Also the game is impossible. I can't get past the first level because I have shitty reflexes.

Truth, the music choices for the Hotline Miami games are impeccable.

Here's some of my favorite tracks in Hotline Miami 2:

Scattle - Remorse
Perturbator - Technoir
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 190   Go Up