Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380431 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2505 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:19 pm »

I've got Don Henley's The Heart of the Matter stuck in my head this morning. What have I done to deserve this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2506 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

Maybe [this](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNdvKvbxYQ) will get it out of your head.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2507 on: March 24, 2015, 06:21:15 pm »

Thank you, that was very helpful.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2508 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »

I come up with weird earworms all the damn time. If I posted about them all you'd be sick of me pronto.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2509 on: March 26, 2015, 03:06:38 pm »

I has good music of late. Heavy rotation: TV on the Radio, the Decemberists, Blind Pilot, Phox, Luluc, The War on Drugs, Cold War Kids, The Twilight Sad.

This Luluc song is particularly pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-qG3rYn9kM

Also, too: on NPR's All Songs Considered they went on about this dude Stromae, who is from Belgium and is huge in Europe but unknown in this country. He performed at SXSW and they were blown away. I haven't gotten too deep into his stuff yet, but he SHOULD be popular in the US except that we're so stupidly resistant to pop songs that aren't in English.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/394035572/stromae-live-in-concert-sxsw-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKj0Z_Xnjc
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2510 on: March 26, 2015, 11:36:24 pm »

I has good music of late. Heavy rotation: TV on the Radio, the Decemberists, Blind Pilot, Phox, Luluc, The War on Drugs, Cold War Kids, The Twilight Sad.

This Luluc song is particularly pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-qG3rYn9kM

Also, too: on NPR's All Songs Considered they went on about this dude Stromae, who is from Belgium and is huge in Europe but unknown in this country. He performed at SXSW and they were blown away. I haven't gotten too deep into his stuff yet, but he SHOULD be popular in the US except that we're so stupidly resistant to pop songs that aren't in English.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/394035572/stromae-live-in-concert-sxsw-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKj0Z_Xnjc

Yeah, fuck that guy if he can't sing in English.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2511 on: March 26, 2015, 11:43:57 pm »

Yeah, fuck that guy if he can't sing in English.

Haha, word!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2512 on: March 26, 2015, 11:50:36 pm »

To be serious for a moment - usually I think Americans are dopes for not being interested in the culture of anywhere else in the world, but to be fair, the lyrics are important to why one finds most pop music interesting (or not). It's not like a Bach cantata or something where there's enough purely musical variation and depth that the words don't matter.

And I'm speaking as someone who listens to a ton of Japanese pop music and understands very little of it. I do it, but I can see why other people don't.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2513 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »

Holy Crap, I had not heard The Jam all this time. Even the drums are Rickenbackers.

...I feel like I've made this joke before and maybe even about this very band. Anything is possible.

Saturday I bought a Parquet Courts record I had never seen/heard of and it's a reissue of a demo. It is pretty bad. The cover is awesome, though.

I'm OK with spending the $12 on it, considering I listen to this band at least twice a week and had never given them money until now. I got all 4 records that the store had.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2514 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:37 pm »

That's their first not demos, and you think it sucks at first, but it is actually great!  Square States, college Chess Circuit and largish/dominant all great, then you learn to love the rest.

"Your blue jean pocket has a faded skull can scar on it
A halo on your ass, the only place that it could fit"

I'm kinda obsessed with Andrew Savage lyrics though.  I think he's the best lyricist since early modest c*ck.  It's been like 10 years since I've tried to listen to the jam or wire, and I kinda hated both, but things have changed.  I should check em out again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:13:30 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2515 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

The Jam are cool, but Wire (mostly Pink Flag) are the fuckin best.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2516 on: April 01, 2015, 02:50:41 am »

I'm very happy that I heard a band and thought "This is something Inev might like" and it's become your favorite band. Yay!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2517 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »

Yes! They're so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2518 on: April 07, 2015, 03:20:52 pm »

Related to the Family Tech Support thread: this weekend we had family at the house. Luluc was playing on the stereo. "Is this National?" my MIL said. (Not "The National.") No, they're called Luluc, they're from Australia. "Oh. [My niece/her granddaughter] was playing National in the car and I liked it."

That's all well and good, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I can see how you'd get them mixed up given how much Zoe Randell sounds like Matt Berninger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4WOY15_nA
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2519 on: April 07, 2015, 06:16:46 pm »

Yeah, every once in a while you have a conversation with someone who does not care as much/in the same way about music and it's a good jolt of perspective. My mother did not know what a bass guitar was. Also always funny hearing what people think sounds like ____.

Although I was really happy when I drove a middle-aged coworker home and he smiled and remarked that the band I was listening to sounded like New Order. Or when my mom knew every word to Led Zeppelin II.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 190   Go Up