Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380846 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2535 on: May 09, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »

I had never heard of The Sound but they are doing it for me right now. I would say it's like a more Joy Division-y Smiths? Or a cornier Joy Division.

Mixing them with some New Order and Echo & The Bunnymen.

Still trying to figure out Swell Maps. They are one of those bands that come up again and again in interviews with bands I like, but I have never heard a song I loved. And what a great name! Ditto with The Fall (not being into them despite praises, not the name.)

Somehow I had missed out on The Misfits all these years.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:43:20 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2536 on: May 15, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »

I guess the album came out earlier this year, but I didn't know about it until I saw the video yesterday. Mystikal!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2537 on: May 15, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »

Parquet Courts are playing a free show the day after my birthday. But
1. it's at the "House of Vans," as in Vans shoes, so... what is that
2. requires online RSVP, but an RSVP does not guarantee you will actually get in. "first come first served." Do I take the train all the way there and then wait in line for hours? Alone? Hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2538 on: May 21, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

I guess the album came out earlier this year, but I didn't know about it until I saw the video yesterday. Mystikal!

Nice!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2539 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:45 am »

The Ladykillers was far from the Coen bro's best, but the soundtrack is killer. Gospel makes me so glad to be alive. The thing they start doing at 2:40 or so kills me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2540 on: May 22, 2015, 04:38:30 am »

The Ladykillers was far from the Coen bro's best, but the soundtrack is killer. Gospel makes me so glad to be alive. The thing they start doing at 2:40 or so kills me.

Yeah, Ladykillers was a lesser Coen Brothers effort, but the soundtrack is righteously great. I think I bought it the day after I saw the film. I've probably mentioned here how much I love the music in that film. When you said, "That thing they start doing at 2:40" I knew exactly what you were referring to. My favorite bit of music in the film was this. For some, it's hard to understand how I can love gospel music so much when I've rejected religion. I say to them, "when Johnny Cash sings it, I believe it."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2541 on: May 22, 2015, 02:33:30 pm »

yeah, the Soul Stirrers are amazing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2542 on: May 22, 2015, 07:02:39 pm »

Some new, bluesy heavy rock.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2543 on: May 29, 2015, 03:52:46 pm »

This came up on XM the other day and has completely earwormed me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2544 on: May 29, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »

Super into this dont-call-it-grunge stuff from Milk Music.

Carlos, that song is catchy as hell, but when I see New Wave videos like that I understand why punks hated New Wave so much. Although definitely most of the bands I love from that era have videos that are not really better.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2545 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55:21 am »

This came up on XM the other day and has completely earwormed me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE

Whoa!  I've been listening to the Paul Westerberg version for all these years, no idea it was a cover.

It starts at 3:34 or so (damn hidden songs) and there is no way it will not be the definitive version of that song to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JGtuA-7tc
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2546 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:14 pm »

Loving all the music, guys. You all have impeccable taste.

Goddammit pereople~! FEEL GOOD!

The Mayor hipped me to this tune in '05. Check out his Catie N Goo mix. it's good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2547 on: June 02, 2015, 04:21:45 am »

It's the Jaguars that roped me in.

Take over panthers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVd9gE5dpA

Also, I was against this song because of its title, then I heard it and I was all, hmm, this is alright, then the chorus happened and I was like yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.  Yes.  This song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9duSZL_-mM
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:25:04 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2548 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »

I listened to the NPR All Songs Considered "Songs That Make Us Cry" podcast on the way to work, and it rendered me a goddamn mess.

Simultaneously tear-jerking and awesome: one reader submitted AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." His father had asked that the song be played at his funeral, because he found funerals to be too depressing and wanted to liven things up. The writer described being at a big music festival, AC/DC playing that song to kick off their encore, and he cried like a baby thinking about how much his dad would have enjoyed it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2549 on: June 13, 2015, 07:57:59 am »

I drove into work today and listend to Strangers to Ourselves.

I'm gonna put a pin in that for now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 190   Go Up