Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380327 times)

0 Members and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2550 on: June 13, 2015, 04:08:42 pm »

Started trying to make my dad a mix cd for father's day, belatedly realizing I kind of don't know what kind of music he likes. I mean, I heard it nonstop for the first 18 years of my life, but listening to a new song I cannot judge whether he would like it or not. Which is resulting in a CD of acoustic guitar strumming. I know he is not crazy about loud guitars. But this is turning into a pretty wimpy CD. Ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2551 on: June 16, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »

I Can See Clearly Now

I love this song so much. The Jimmy Cliff original version is also great, but this one takes it to another level.

It starts off with a plaintive Jamaican reggae beat while the singer is telling us how his life is improving. The words are positive, but the voice is reserved. He repeats the line "It's gonna be a bright sunshiney day" as if to try to convince himself. The second verse he drops the metaphor and lets on that he's recovering from depression. Then we hit the bridge with big ominous chords thundering a warning from the brass section that the danger is still lurking, but the singer defiantly cries out "look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies." Ahh... the singer vocalizes through a series of minor chords that finally resolve with an uplifting major that hits the ear like a sigh of relief. Now comes the final verse which is a repeat of the first verse except this time he sings it with confidence. Now he is sure of himself. It's gonna be a bright sunshiney day.

I also love that the singer is from Houston Texas even though this song was recorded in London with mainly British musicians.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2552 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:34 am »

I Can See Clearly Now

I love this song so much.


This is the polar opposite of that (great) song.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2553 on: June 17, 2015, 03:45:56 am »

I assumed that the Jimmy Cliff version was the original because he's the Jamaican. Turns out, according to Wikipedia, Johnny Nash basically discovered Bob Marley and produced his first recordings. Wow!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2554 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:43 pm »

That song is, like, deeper than I ever noticed before. Or more ambivalent? It's a bright sunshiney day - which lets him see all the obstacles in his way. Not that the obstacles are gone, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2555 on: June 17, 2015, 08:24:56 pm »

I used to get really wrapped up when I was a kid with what the literal interpretation of lyrics was. That is one that still bugs me long after all the other ones.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2556 on: June 19, 2015, 04:09:06 am »

That song is, like, deeper than I ever noticed before. Or more ambivalent? It's a bright sunshiney day - which lets him see all the obstacles in his way. Not that the obstacles are gone, you know?

Well sure, the obstacles will always be there, but if you can see them they can be more easily avoided.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2557 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:23 am »

In 2011, a silly lady who I had a strong emotional attachment to for some reason told me the latest Oh Sees record sucked. For some reason, I believed her and never really checked it out.

Poignant to discover today maybe the only love song I've heard them play was hidden on that album. Apparently a song originally by Creation, who I know are good from Nuggets. I really like this song. Somehow the Creation version doesn't work for me. Maybe because the idea of the supremely creepy and aggressive John Dwyer singing it kind of sloppily makes it so much more vulnerable. I was going to say "this was before Thee Oh Sees became a super-tight death groove machine" but apparently I am getting my chronology backwards and this one came between two super-heavy albums. Right before a couple that I didn't like as much. The latest ones are good, though.

The chorus does the thing I love the most, which I have tried to describe on here before. Everything "opens up" and my heart explodes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2558 on: June 23, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2560 on: June 26, 2015, 09:47:48 pm »

I'm with Paul, driving home listening to angry music always got me calm after a crappy day of serving coffee to assholes. I always had the thought that it was too bad I couldn't hold onto that angry energy a little longer until I could get to my guitar. I am rarely pissed off enough to play anything aggressive. My hands only want to play sweet/corny chord changes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2561 on: July 01, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2562 on: July 15, 2015, 02:31:32 am »

You know that thing where your favorite band comes out with a new song and you hate it and realize they are going in a direction you will be unable to follow? One of the advantages of age is that you've learned this is a thing that happens. It's still sad but not as shocking and heartbreaking as the first few times.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2563 on: July 20, 2015, 05:01:37 am »

Japanese noise lady band playing a Devo cover. Something we can all agree on. (I had never heard Melt Banana and this is not at all what I imagined them sounding like.)

This reminds me of a Japanese Noise Band anecdote that I can't source. I remember reading it online somewhere. Anyway, some 90s alternative noisy band was on tour with a hip Japanese noise band, and at the end of a show they were jamming on a sloppy "fuck you oldies we're generation X" cover of Rock Around the Clock. They asked the guitarist from the Japanese band to come out and play with them and he was kind of standing there quizzically looking around at them until it came to the solo, when he played it perfectly note-for-note like the original. I think the story ended with something like "I never realized how awesome that solo was until that moment."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:06:20 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2564 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »

That solo really is pretty great.
Kind of an earworm though - so I know what's going to be on heavy rotation inside my skull today...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 190   Go Up