Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379292 times)

0 Members and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2625 on: January 11, 2016, 08:41:08 am »

It's weird (or not?) how similar our musical tastes are.  Seriously, Protomartyr and Parquet Courts are some of the only bands I like everything from. 

A halo on your ass, the only place that it could fit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AKKOLADE

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2626 on: January 11, 2016, 10:11:34 pm »

Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2627 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:29 pm »

Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.

Obviously.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2628 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:10 am »

Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.

HEROES on repeat. A weird, weird wonderful era for a weird, weird wonderful being.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2629 on: January 12, 2016, 06:06:22 pm »

Hop Along, "Waitress." Holy cats, her voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIPAEclVg-Y

I have never been a huge Bowie fan, but obviously his influence is everywhere. On a recent NPR podcast, they had a couple of the guys who recorded with him on "Blackstar" and they said he was completely down to earth, supportive, and collaborative. Dude could have competed with Cornelius in the Badass Games, that's for sure.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2630 on: January 19, 2016, 04:47:07 am »

Today:
Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside: An Album by Earl Sweatshirt (2015)
Tom Waits - Small Change (1976) <--- I listen to a Waits album in entirety every single day
Tayi Bebba - Clap! Clap! (2014)
Mantronix - Mantronix: The Album (1985)
Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down... <---- holychristsogood

Watching most recent SNL (seems I will never give up on this show), and Fred Armisen introduces a tribute to Bowie. They play a clip of his 1979 SNL performance of "The Man Who Sold The World." SO turns to me and asks, "Why did he cover a Nirvana song?"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2631 on: January 29, 2016, 07:31:09 pm »

After way too much time trying to screw some tiny-ass screws and stringing up some copper stereo wire, I finally have a working stereo in my lil' NJ bedroom. Breaking it in with some Creedence, Thee Oh Sees, and Replacements. Unfortunately the bookshelf space situation was already dire, and now is insane. Every shelf has a double-layer of books on it.

11 inch tall speakers are not great for bass. But the sound overall is pretty good. Both speakers pointed directly at my bed, for making out let's be honest I am sitting on/in my bed at almost all times when I am home.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2632 on: January 29, 2016, 08:33:13 pm »

Whoa...yes!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2633 on: January 31, 2016, 05:56:02 am »

Holy cow. Maybe the best used record haul of my career. Although, to be fair, this was partially because I have never before bought a used record that cost more than $20. I got the 2nd Feelies album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Elizabeth Cotten.

Good news: people online are selling that Elizabeth Cotten record for $50, so if I get buyer's remorse I can flip it.

Also went through and sorted my records today. I was pleased to see I have not accidentally bought any doubles. It's also great looking at all the covers... the images are just so much cooler when they're 12 inches tall than when they're on my laptop screen.

The Agent Intellect by Protomartyr came with a big square black and white poster of the album cover, so now this guy is watching me sleep.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:59:18 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2634 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:28 pm »

Holy cow. Maybe the best used record haul of my career. Although, to be fair, this was partially because I have never before bought a used record that cost more than $20. I got the 2nd Feelies album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Elizabeth Cotten.

Nice! 21st Century Schizoid Man for the win!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2635 on: January 31, 2016, 08:29:10 pm »

Thanks to Miles, ZZ Top, of course!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2636 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:50 am »

After getting stood up on a date I was driving home in a major nihilistic self-loathing spiral and then was inspired to listen to this jam.

I think it is pretty counter to my entire lifestyle/life philosophy whatever, but it is really really important for me to occasionally have moments where I am blasting punk music and feeling the surge of "this is me, I do not need your permission or approval to do whatever the fuck I want."

Fuck You Monday?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2637 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:15 am »

Thanks to Miles, ZZ Top, of course!

Nice! After I saw that video I went and added a couple of their albums to the queue. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. What albums are your favorite?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2638 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:46 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkG3TI9W31U

Over and over and over and over and
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2639 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:44 am »

I think I finally get Elliott Smith!

Also bands known for their lyrics sometimes make the best instrumentals!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NT6ds9DE8gY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGq51esz84A
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 190   Go Up