Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379907 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2640 on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:26 am »

Nice! After I saw that video I went and added a couple of their albums to the queue. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. What albums are your favorite?

Their first two albums are really good, Just Got Paid is a great song from their second album, but they really got their shit together with their third album, Tres Hombres, the one with the awesome photo of that Mexican smorgasbord. It's a killer, obviously and LaGrange alone is worth the price of admission, but that's not all it has to offer by a long shot. Among many standout tracks for me are Waitin' on the Bus/Jesus Left Chicago and Have You Heard.  I think their Magnum Opus is Fandango, their fourth album. Side one is live, recorded in a club in New Orleans. It's raw and it's wild. Thunderbird might be the greatest thing they ever recorded. Side Two is even better. Every song is great Check out Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings. One of my first concert experiences at the age of 14 was seeing ZZ Top on Thanksgiving day in 1976. It still stands out in my mind as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. They called it their World Wide Texas Tour and they had longhorn steers, vultures, and rattlesnakes on stage with them. I still have the program I bought at the show. About a month after I saw them they released Tejas, which is the last album of the first era of the band. They took 3 years off, grew their beards and came back with a slicker tighter sound. The songs were goofier. Overall I prefer their gritty early stuff, but there's a lot to love in the new era. Degüello is the best album of their second life. You just gotta move around a little bit when I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide and Cheap Sunglasses come on. But the one that really gets me going is Manic Mechanic. After that they got even more popular and became household names so I probably don't need to point out Sharp Dressed Man, or Legs or whatever. Incredibly they made their live television debut in 1986 on the Johnny Carson Show which I lived when it originally aired. Hope this was helpful.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2641 on: February 07, 2016, 03:00:49 am »

Very helpful. Tres Hombres and Degüello are the albums I previously downloaded. Tres Hombres kicks ass, and I haven't listened to Degüello yet. I'll check Fandango out too.

I'd never heard Jesus Just Left Chicago before, but apparently AC/DC cribbed the main riff for Ride On, so I kinda had heard it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2642 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:03 pm »

I'd never heard Jesus Just Left Chicago before, but apparently AC/DC cribbed the main riff for Ride On, so I kinda had heard it.

Heh, I'd never made that connection before, but totally you are right. I don't think Ride on has the Punch of JJLC, but...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2643 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:03 am »

The Suffers

I Love This Band!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2644 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »

Some years ago I ripped all my CDs to MP3, which works really well with the Sonos being the home stereo. The other week we unearthed my wife's CDs, mostly stuff from her college years and shortly thereafter. Hey, you want these copied to MP3 too? Sure, that'd be great.

I love my wife very much and wouldn't trade her for anything. But incorporating Kid Rock's "Devil Without a Cause" into my music library is PAINFUL.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2645 on: March 14, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »

Glad to know that relationships can thrive without compatible musical tastes.

I do not know where they are hiding, but I have never successfully gone on a date with someone who likes good music. Not since my ex, who liked almost the exact same music as me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2646 on: March 14, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »

Glad to know that relationships can thrive without compatible musical tastes.

Oh, definitely. Fortunately she doesn't dislike most of the music I play, so I can put on whatever I want for the most part.

On a brighter note--my daughters seemed to have inherited my wife's penchant for music (i.e. they like some things fine but aren't as into it overall as I am). But the other day I caught my oldest singing The Head & The Heart's "Let's Be Still," and when I asked how she knew that song she said "Because you play it?" (Questioning in as, how else would I know that, duh?) So there's hope there. She also likes The Decemberists.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2647 on: March 14, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »

She likes The Head and The Heart and The Decemberists so like...where is the hope?!!  (Sorry, just fuck*ng around.  We travel without seat belts on, we live this close to death)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2648 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:05 pm »

I'm giving Keith a can for the smart ass comment.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2649 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »

Today I went to the pot store at ten am and it was a goddamn 420 fest in a business parking lot in Los Feliz.  I don't even puff, just got some illegal friends.  It is a favor exchange you could call it.  Anyways it reminded me of something and now I'm rocking some throwback shit:



https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf54L5uFZI

Damn good album.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2650 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:46 pm »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf54L5uFZI

Damn good album.

Great record. I listened to this album nonstop for about 2 months when it came out.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2651 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:51 pm »

Say whatever you want about Texas, the bands from there are always the best.  I think it's cause if you are a weird band from Texas you actually have to be weird.  There is no benefit to pretending to be a freak (cough la cough New York cough San Francisco)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2652 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:20 pm »

I can confirm that at least one of those cities seems to have a lot of people who dress weird but are very boring and not weird at all.

This is actually also relevant to "going on dates with people who don't like good music."

My friends in STL somehow let me take for granted that if you were smart and kind of "hip" you would be interested in music. Like... even a little bit interested.

Are you just nonstop hitting on girls in denim jackets at Burger Records shows, Keith?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:04:43 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2653 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11:29 pm »

I can confirm that about another one of those cities too!

Actually out here those people are into good music, they just look like they are trying slightly too hard.  There is one club you drive by and it looks like a fuck*ng 1980s punk club from the movies.  Literally everyone wearing spiky leather jackets, jeans, cons, etc...  The hipster areas actively annoy me.  I'm sure people look at me and think the same thing, so fuck it I guess.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2654 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:29 pm »

Say whatever you want about Texas, the bands from there are always the best.  I think it's cause if you are a weird band from Texas you actually have to be weird.  There is no benefit to pretending to be a freak (cough la cough New York cough San Francisco)

That might be true of Texas in general. Could explain why we love artcars so much here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 190   Go Up