Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379958 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2685 on: April 29, 2016, 05:09:45 am »

There was a professional film crew there. Has that video emerged?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2686 on: April 29, 2016, 05:10:31 am »

Woah, some asshole stole Boogie Boy's mask and ran away. I like how the guy filming said "Gee Whiz!"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2687 on: May 04, 2016, 12:39:13 pm »

A friend of mine does the music photography for the local indy paper. He posted some photos of Foals who played here last night. So I googled them and really liked it. Seems like I was exposed to them awhile back and maybe forgot about it. Did anyone here bring them up?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2688 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:36 pm »

There's a certain style of banjo playing. It's not playing chords, or that fast bluegrass picking. I don't know if Neil Young invented this style, but he's the oldest example of it that I know about. Everytime I hear the banjo played like this it just sends me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2689 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:42 pm »

Wikipedia says that that's James Taylor playing a banjo tuned like a guitar on Old Man. So maybe it's just that fingerstyle guitar players don't try to play so fast.

(also you know maybe James Taylor has a dang smooth style love him or hate him)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2690 on: May 04, 2016, 09:59:06 pm »

(also you know maybe James Taylor has a dang smooth style love him or hate him)

I like James Taylor, he's alright. I like him more right about now learning that he played on one of my all time favorite songs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2691 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »

My mom sent me a copy of the latest James Taylor album (she likes to copy CDs and send them to me, which isn't altogether legal) and wrote a note saying I should listen to "Angels of Fenway" or whatever it's called.

Before I did, I googled it, and found this piece on Deadspin, which includes one of the greatest lines of criticism ever: “Angels of Fenway” sounds like a parody song, or maybe what James Taylor would perform at an improv night when handed a random card reading, “Sing a song about the Red Sox.”
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2692 on: May 05, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »

Copying a CD to another CD and sending it in the mail is a charming form of piracy.

James Taylor is my dad's favorite. I want to say I can't stand him, but that's a bit strong. I definitely do not have much interest in his music though. My dad used to sing "sweet dreams and flying machines" to me when I was a baby so I can't hate him.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2693 on: May 05, 2016, 03:26:40 pm »

Copying a CD to another CD and sending it in the mail is a charming form of piracy.

She maintains that giving a copy to a friend is somehow fair use. I haven't asked her for a legal citation on that.
Once I understood how little recording artists typically get paid, I am much less down with "free music."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2694 on: May 06, 2016, 01:34:02 am »

James Taylor is my dad's favorite. I want to say I can't stand him, but that's a bit strong. I definitely do not have much interest in his music though. My dad used to sing "sweet dreams and flying machines" to me when I was a baby so I can't hate him.

James Taylor's first album, on Apple Records, is actually surprisingly decent (well maybe not that surprisingly, given that Paul McCartney and George Harrison appear on "Carolina in my Mind"). "Something in the Way She Moves" is also really good.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:19:10 pm by Victoria Waterfield »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2695 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:07 pm »

The only real criticism of James Taylor that comes to mind is he's overly serious. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I like his hits from back in the day when he made hits.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2696 on: May 06, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »

Damn, this album is so good. Plus, the cover is a tribute to a great Nick Drake album.

I am a huge sucker for guitars that are overdriven and sustained in this way... it's almost like they're singing? Also present at this moment of this incredible Feelies song.

I finally bought a guitar pedal that makes my guitar sound like this last year. It's great. Although maybe the sound is also about humbuckers. My jag has single coils.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:19:14 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2697 on: May 06, 2016, 11:14:13 pm »

She maintains that giving a copy to a friend is somehow fair use. I haven't asked her for a legal citation on that.

Mmm, I think she has gotten that confused with "lending your own copy to a friend."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2699 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:09 pm »

This one has been in my head to the "can't sleep at night because I'm mentally singing it" level for a week. Damn.

I heard a couple songs off this album and really liked them so I bought it. A little while later I went to listen to it and was bored out of my mind. And then I listened to it again a while later and I loved it. Maybe I'm just extra moody these days.

But I just listened to this song and I still like it a lot.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 190   Go Up