I know I bring this up at least once a year, but it blows me away how the more experiences I have in life the more intensely certain pieces of art speak to me.
A few years ago I went to Boston and spent a few hours in the museum of fine arts, where
this painting totally killed me. In person it is ENORMOUS and I just got slapped in the face by how lifelike it looks... how candid their poses look, like an off-the-cuff photograph. I've always liked Sargent but I think of this one a lot. This week I was in Boston and thought of the painting so I read the wikipedia article... it says a lot of people think it's an allegory about puberty, with the girls retreating into their own world as they get older (vs the guileless toddler flopped on the floor).
On the same theme, aging and childhood, as a kid and teenager I hated "She's Leaving Home." I couldn't tell what I was supposed to feel and it annoyed me.
Now it really affects me every time. So beautiful. There are a few Beatles songs like this and A Day in the Life that are these perfect little glimpses into life and the older I get the more I love them.
There is also this crazy new remix of Sgt Pepper-- not trying to change the songs, just making a new mix with modern technology to preserve more of the sound quality of individual instruments that got lost to the magic of the magnetic tape process.
It's so good, even if it's all in my head.If I think about it too hard I'm probably going to have a dumb opinion about how the magnetic tape quality is better. So. Preemptively gonna stop thinking about it and just listen to the music. I'd say most songs sound better, She's Leaving Home sounds kind of weird, Good Morning sounds strangely compressed and bad.