Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379235 times)

0 Members and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2820 on: April 22, 2018, 07:12:41 pm »

Could be good for both of them should she ever run for office.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2821 on: July 04, 2018, 07:58:36 pm »

Also, when did Hollywood start smelling like a ginourmous weed factory, I miss the old smell of Bum Piss?

Kevin Smith is to blame
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2822 on: September 24, 2018, 07:09:30 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2823 on: September 25, 2018, 03:12:02 am »

Going through a heavy jazz phase over the last half-year. I just listen to the same Bill Evans, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, and Thelonious Monk albums over and over.

Troubling: the GF hates jazz. She doesn't understand why they play so many ugly notes. I on the other hand have crossed the magic threshold where the jazz stuff I used to dislike sounds great to me now. Long bass solo? Yes please.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2824 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:50 am »

Which albums are you listening to?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2825 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:36 am »

Bill Evans-- Portrait in Jazz, Everybody Digs
Miles Davis-- Kind of Blue, the series that are like Cookin, Workin, Steamin, one more.
Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, something live on youtube that I forget the title of
Thelonious: I think it was Underground?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2826 on: September 26, 2018, 05:19:25 pm »

Bill Evans-- Portrait in Jazz, Everybody Digs
Miles Davis-- Kind of Blue, the series that are like Cookin, Workin, Steamin, one more.
Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, something live on youtube that I forget the title of
Thelonious: I think it was Underground?

I have 2 of those albums, Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme. I really dig both of them a lot. I also have Miles Bitches Brew and it does nothing for me. I have a Mingus album, His Final Works, but i haven't been able to get into it either. I figure it's probably not his best. It's either scraps they pieced together from inferior rejects after he died or it's actually his final works as a frail doddering old man. Yikes, he was 56 when he died. That's how old I am now. Anyway, there is this one Mingus tune* came to me by way of a Mixtape from long lost board member Bozack. It cooks! Also, you should add Brubeck Time's Out to your list. It's essential listening.

I don't think I've "crossed that magic threshold" yet, but I feel I'm getting closer. When I hear a movie with a jazz score I generally enjoy it. So I'm that close, just not to the point, except for those notable exceptions I've mentioned able to listen to Jazz on it's own.

*This is a different recording than the one on Bozak's mix, but still pretty fuck*ng great.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2827 on: September 26, 2018, 05:37:36 pm »

If you like Kind of Blue you might like Bill Evans, he is the piano player on Kind of Blue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2828 on: September 26, 2018, 08:53:34 pm »

Paul, have you listened to In a Silent Way? It was released the year before Bitches Brew and I think marked the beginning of his electric fusion period. I like Bitches Brew (though I almost never listen to it) but I love In a Silent Way. It's my favorite Miles Davis album and one of my favorite albums of any genre. I'm curious to know what others think about it.

I like Mingus a lot. My favorite album is probably The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (another favorite album overall) but also love Pithecanthropus Erectus (I believe Aug was the first person to recommend that one to me) and pretty any much anything Mingus recorded. I really like Mingus.

I haven't listened to Monk in a while, I think I'll listen to a couple of his albums this weekend.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2829 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:17 pm »

Paul, have you listened to In a Silent Way? It was released the year before Bitches Brew and I think marked the beginning of his electric fusion period. I like Bitches Brew (though I almost never listen to it) but I love In a Silent Way. It's my favorite Miles Davis album and one of my favorite albums of any genre. I'm curious to know what others think about it.

No, I haven't actually. Well maybe I have. I've heard lots of Jazz that wasn't identified.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2830 on: January 28, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »

You should be utterly not surprised to hear that Neko Case put on a good-ass show.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neko-case/2019/lincoln-theatre-washington-dc-339580a9.html
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2831 on: February 12, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »

I continue to be frustrated by people's inability to commit to going to shows.
Had a text exchange with a friend when the Massive Attack tour was announced. They're gonna do Mezzanine in its entirety! With Lis Frasier and Horace Andy! His response: "Whoa."
Which is not "Cool let's go" so I did not buy tickets. And now the cheap tickets are gone, and there's only $100 box seats left. sheeeeeit
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2832 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:50 pm »

yeesh. Yeah, finding friends to go to shows with is way too tough. I used to go to things by myself a lot when I moved to NYC, but now it's more likely I just... don't go to things. The GF is willing to see things when I ask but it's usually pretty obvious she is not really enjoying it, even when I think it's something she might like. It does not help that she gets up at like 5am most days so getting to a show that starts at 10pm over an hour away from her apartment is... rough.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2833 on: February 12, 2019, 07:33:45 pm »

ugh, that is really asking a lot. I can't imagine it being worth going to an event that starts at 10 when I had to get up at 5am for anything short of the second coming of Christ or the landing of the first extraterrestrials, and even then, for sure you'd be able to watch it on YouTube the next day so I'd still hesitate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2834 on: February 12, 2019, 09:38:20 pm »

Quote
ugh, that is really asking a lot. I can't imagine it being worth going to an event that starts at 10 when I had to get up at 5am for anything short of the second coming of Christ or the landing of the first extraterrestrials, and even then, for sure you'd be able to watch it on YouTube the next day so I'd still hesitate.

Well, yeah, I don't invite her to things on weekdays. Even on the weekends she's tired and ready to go to bed by 10. But she refuses to admit when she doesn't want to go, so my solution is to not suggest it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190   Go Up