Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Moguls  (Read 18722 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »

Alexandre Bilodeau won the first Canadian gold on Canadian soil for the Mogul on Saturday.  There was a beautiful post-win clip on, where they interspliced him skiing with his special-needs brother watching him in the stands.  That dude's bro was experiencing full-out, total joy, and it was so beautiful that it brought a tear to my eye.

I enjoyed that story too, although I wish NBC had let us know that the brother was speaking French instead of English.  It made him seem more incapable of understandable speech than was accurate.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »

Look, I'm not trying to denigrate the sport of Moguls per se.  I'm just calling bullshit on the whole Xtreme hype which presents it as being wilder, more dangerous, crazy.  Which in my opinion it's not.  It also tries to come across as counter culture.  Which now that it's a part of the Olympics seems pretty silly.

Same goes for snowboarding.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Moguls
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »

sub-cultures have a way of becoming mainstream.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

Look, I'm not trying to denigrate the sport of Moguls per se.  I'm just calling bullshit on the whole Xtreme hype which presents it as being wilder, more dangerous, crazy.  Which in my opinion it's not.  It also tries to come across as counter culture.  Which now that it's a part of the Olympics seems pretty silly.

Same goes for snowboarding.

Yeah, I basically don't consider any type of skiing to be in the Xtreme catagory, and certainly most of the competative skiers I've met seem to hold a lot of disdain toward the whole Xtreme sports world.  Skiing is old skool.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Moguls
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »

In my mind, anything where you go airborne is terrifying to a normal person and therefore "Xtreme".

Skiing where you just go down the hill? Non-extreme.

Skiing where you go flying and do flips and shit? Xtreme.

Even though skiing where you do flips and shit has been around for a long long time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:11 pm »

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:19 pm »

I am watching curling. It is only extreme in goofiness.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 12:02:17 am »

Caveat: I am probably a crusty old fart in training.

Fixed that for you us.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Moguls
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 01:09:19 am »

I am watching curling. It is only extreme in goofiness.

The schedule online says it should be on now, but it's not. It's Hockey. fuck*ng bullshit. I want my curling!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 01:45:21 am »

A friend of mine went to Vancouver for the Olympics and got ticket to 8 events. 5 of them are curling, including the men's gold medal round.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Moguls
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 02:38:29 am »

I'll admit that probably the primary reason I like curling is because it was the only event I attended during the 2002 Olympics in SLC. It was one of the few events left that still had tickets available, and I believe it was the cheapest. But there is something captivating about it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 02:50:24 am »

Curling is the funniest winter Olympic sport. It used to be two man luge, but luge isn't funny since it started killing people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:54 am »

luge should give skeleton its image back
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:46 am »

Why are there Mens and Womens curling?  Are the stones different weights?  If they were the same weight, would men have a quantifiable advantage? 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up