Amen to you Pedro. It's so nice to see someone else who cares about this as much as me. And I guess the point being it comes from someone else who is as much (if not currently more?) involved in the industry.
I pretty much wholly agree with your post. The only thing that I would want to discuss, and on this I am more in agreement with Penny Arcade...
They're not going to turn into zombies, but it's honestly not good for them, and we can't trust their parents to keep the stuff from them. There's already a good-enough rating system in place. It has become necessary to keep the Mature for people over 12 and the Adult games for people who have legally attained that status.
I fully agree, that we cannot trust parents, on the whole, to keep unsuitable material away from their own children. The problem there however, is that we
have to come up with suitable legislation to do so. And basically, I would prefer it if that job wasn't a legal issue. I just don't think the people who are going to come up with the legislation are going to do it effectively, and morally.
The current ESRB ratings for videogames are a bold, and I think good move. I feel the 'Early Childhood' and 'Children' ratings should be merged, since they, as far as I'm concerned only need to be distinguished in gameplay terms, not in legal ratings.
But I also feel that they should use the standard film ratings, since parents know what they are. And shop assistants too.
In the UK, we have started using the BBFC ratings (12, 15 and 18) on our games, and while it is currently only a guideline rating (it cannot be legally enforced yet) it does at least give people a clear idea who the game is aimed at. For instance in arguments over Grand Theft Auto and shocked parents saying 'How can we let our children play this?', the answer is, 'You don't. It clearly states it's aimed for 18+'.
If we can legally enforce the current ratings in the UK, so like movies, a shop assistant is not allowed to sell an 18 rated game to anyone under that age, I will be happy. However I fear, like movies, it isn't going to change much, and kids are still going to be able to buy unsuitable video games. This is why I fear stronger and stronger legislation, which will censor more and more one of our strongest and most promising artforms.