I watched a miniseries called "Tin Man" -- not knowing before I started it that it was a SciFi original -- and it was rather Meh. However, it did remind me how much I loved
Return to Oz (ever so much more than
The Wizard of Oz), and I got to wondering how closely it followed the other Oz books. So I downloaded the first five Oz books from
Project Gutenberg (they're in the public domain) and have been reading them.
There are thirteen in all, and being children's books they're pretty straightforward and quick to read. (I read the first two last night.) They were all published between the turn of the century and the beginning of World War II, and stylistically they're quite spare and remind me of A.A. Milne. Dunno if they're enjoyable, per se, but I feel like I'm Accomplishing something by reading them, learning a new mythology, etc. Plus, it's interesting to see where the well-known films take license with the original stories.
Recommended? Probably not, unless you're really interested in absorbing the official canon of a specific branch of children's literature, as I am.
Yeah, I'm a nerd.