Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 93087 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 07:14:41 pm »

my dad has a kindle, and swears by it. he has to travel A TON for work, and says it has basically saved his life. Buy a few books before a trip, read them, delete them. If he finishes them he can always get another one using wifi.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2010, 05:50:35 am »

If you feel like paying for a book, I recommend picking up a copy of The Ask by Sam Lipsyte and then reading it. Hell of funny, and topical but timeless. I'm kidding, it's mostly just really funny.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »

You know, if Jesus did in fact appear periodically as an enormous, talking lion, and helped one defeat their enemies, I bet Christianity would be REALLY popular.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2010, 02:45:49 pm »

Tolkien and Lewis disagreed about the usefulness of allegory in storytelling. Tolkien's writing was strongly influenced by the wars in Europe and was awesome. The Jesus, The Devil, and The Door to Metaphor was a straight allegory and was terrible.

There I said it.


The Screwtape Letters was pretty neat. Were pretty neat? What's the verb agreement rule here?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2010, 03:42:48 pm »

Is anybody else participating in the "get Machine of Death to #1 on Amazon today" initiative?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 05:38:32 pm »

Just catching up on old threads. I like Vonnegut just fine but I'm really surprised to hear anyone here say he's their favorite author. Fun reads, though.

I'm trying to make my way through Red Mars. It's great, but for some reason it's taking a long time to get through. I did recently read the graphic novel series 100 Bullets. That was striking - beautiful and horrifying and very well written, I thought (there's supposedly a game coming, but it's in development hell). I'm also continuing to stay up on Walking Dead, and I'm pretty much furious I won't be home to watch the premiere (taking place at the Bagdad, and presented by Cort and Fatboy, but probably not our Cort).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:47 am »

I love 100 Bullets. I've taken a break about halfway through the series  because I didn't want to get through it too quickly. I've also been enjoying some Ed Brubaker. Right now I'm reading The Executioner's Song. It's fantastic, but I'm more than halfway through and have like 500 pages still. It's not slow, just long and I haven't had a lot of time to read lately.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 01:51:02 am »

I really liked 100 bullets, one of like 3 series I've actively collected, but I kind of lost my connection with it somewhere after Milo's story, which was probably the highpoint of the series for me. I feel like they either needed more room to flesh out the stories in the second half or needed to cut out a lot of the fat. Still has a hell of a lot of style though.

That said I got into it not knowing it even had an over-arching storyline so I would have been happy with one shots of agent Graves entering people's lives basically forever.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 02:36:34 am »

nothing special.  i just finished the first of stephen kings darktower series.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 02:41:48 am »

man i sure wish he'd finished off the series after the first three.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2010, 02:59:19 am »

I just finished a bunch of Horatio Hornblower novels.  They were good.  Now I'm reading some Pahluniak book about the world's deadliest joke or some such.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 04:04:38 am »

I am reading Chuck Klosterman IV (I have gotten over the idea that reading Klosterman would be A Thing) and the new Good Eats book.

All kinds of middle-brow up in this house.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 04:09:58 am »

I like Klosterman, but I've only read Fargo and the one about dead rockers. Well, and his online stuff.

Pahlaniuk's a Portland guy! Have you read that non-fiction essay thing? It's ok.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:56 pm »

Listening to Jimmy Carter's White House diaries. The optimism about mid-east peace is depressing. Also Jimmy Carter is not only an American President, he's also the president of his own fan club.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2010, 11:51:15 pm »

The Girl Who Played with Fire.  Since my morning radio DJ mentioned the other day that he's reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I exempt my statement from any claims to Literature.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Up