Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92929 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »

Heartily endorse Sanders. Just watch out for the "Sanders" books.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2011, 09:02:42 pm »

I just finished a huge annotated compendium of Grimm's fairy tales, and now I'm on to a book about the "Wild Mother" archetype in traditional tales.

Fiction, what? I am such a nerd.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:09 pm »

I'm reading Wombat's book.  I'll report when I have finished.  So far, I like it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »

I am reading China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" and it is seriously bad-ass.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »

That is one of his that I haven't read. I have loved some of his other books, but I read the sample on Amazon and I felt like this one was going to be China Mieville Overdoseland.  I have to say my favorite was The City and The City, which he does in a kind of noir thriller style which forces him to dial down the elaborate descriptive language.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:10 pm »

That is one of his that I haven't read. I have loved some of his other books, but I read the sample on Amazon and I felt like this one was going to be China Mieville Overdoseland. 

Yeah, to a degree. He's created a world of size and complexity that's almost on par with Tolkien or the Star Wars universe. There's times when it's laid on a little thick, but mostly it's great writing and great atmosphere. The plot was predictable at some points, but quite surprising at others. I finished it last night and quite enjoyed it, but I am going to take a break from him before I pick up "The Scar."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:38 am »

Yeah, to a degree. He's created a world of size and complexity that's almost on par with Tolkien or the Star Wars universe. There's times when it's laid on a little thick, but mostly it's great writing and great atmosphere. The plot was predictable at some points, but quite surprising at others. I finished it last night and quite enjoyed it, but I am going to take a break from him before I pick up "The Scar."

Hmmm.  Sounds like I need to check this out.

And Neal Stephenson has a new book coming out too.  Excellent.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 07:28:31 am »

Haruki Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle is the first thing I've read in a really really long time that I can't put down. Not sure how much I love the Magical Realism/Surrealism stuff. But for some reason this book about an unemployed dude not knowing what is going on, and drinking a lot of whiskey and cooking a lot is resonating with me. (this is not what the book is about).

It is making me want to write something. Also a bizarre thing happened to me today that was so utterly surreal that it felt like a book/bizarrely symbolic dream. Which I suppose is what Surreal means.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »

I found a signed first edition of Anansi Boys on our vacation.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:44 am »

Sweet book. Neil Gaiman is pretty much the best guy.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »

I'm pretty jazzed. I like getting signed shit. I like actually getting it signed, but I don't much meet authors. Wombles hooked me up, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2011, 04:19:58 am »

I'm reading Wombat's book.  I'll report when I have finished.  So far, I like it.
Me too - the Animals Behaving Badly one.  I'm going to write a dissertation on Amazon once I'm done.  Perhaps under the "Segmental Phonology in Optimality Theory" section though, to be puckish.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:33 am »

Also, I just finished Hunger Games, which I note parenthetically (is there any other way) has been previously referenced on TOUAMB exactly twice - once by Toaster expressing glee in 2009 over getting a Hunger Games pin; again by Miles in 2010, and my impression of the book is decidedly mixed.  Were I still a teenager I would love it unreservedly.  As a grownup with kids there is a serious squick factor to a storyline that pits 24 children between 12 & 18 years of age to lethal combat with one another.  Get ready, anyway, Hollywood got ahold of the story and is set to crank out a successor to Harry Potter.  I'm eagerly anticipating/ awaiting in horror the product tie ins with Burger King, Disney and Trapper Keeper.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2011, 06:24:45 am »

I've mentioned this here (maybe twice), but watching Battle Royal is the best thing anyone coming down off of cocaine at 4 in the morning can do.

Actually now that I think about it, that only happened in OK.  Maybe cut with meth or something there?  Whatever it was I just needed to see those kids battling.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:18 am »

Zombo-thread alert.

I don't know where to put this, so here it goes. I'm in the midst of reading Robert B. Parker's Cold Service (I think that's the right one), and here's the little blurb on the back:

Quote from: back cover
When his closest ally, Hawk, is beaten and left for dead while protecting a bookie, Spenser embarks on an epic journey to rehabilitate his best pal, body and soul.

Great! Except what actually happens, in the first few pages of the book, is that Hawk gets three slugs in the back from a rifle. Why would that happen? Carelessness? Maybe he edited the beating out? If you've read the series you can't really imagine anyone beating Hawk up, so I guess I figure it's the latter, but it just struck me as odd.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Up