Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.  (Read 7545 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:32 am »


I have never gotten as into A Love Supreme as I am into Giant Steps. Giant Steps, when I heard it, activated the part of my brain that was like WOOOO JAZZ.


Me too.

Thelonius Monk was who I'd been a fan of all my life but didn't know about it, at least in the jazz world. 

Pithycanthopus is my favorite Mingus album too. 

JL you should also check out some Bebop -- Bird and Diz were goin' crazy in the 40's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 03:44:37 am »

Thelonious is super awesome, too. YEAH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 05:26:18 am »

Pithycanthopus is my favorite Mingus album too.

I have a very decent Mingus collection, but embarrassingly I am missing this. I will fix that this weekend. In fact my favorite record store in town has a cheap copy. I almost bought it the other day.

As far as Coltrane goes, I love Giant Steps and all, but A Love Supreme is just... perfect.

I'm not that into jazz and I already get angry when AC/DC is on.

Not my thing.

This kind of surprises me. The jazz part. But also, what's up with all the AC/DC hate around these parts?

miles, I think you're onto something.

Man, I hope so.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:34 am »

I love Jazz and I hate Jazz.  Some of the things mentioned in this thread, A Kind of Blue, Giant Steps,and especially Time Out are fuck*ng exquisite. And I really dig dixieland and big band jazz.  But much of the rest of it is just insane.  It's all ching chang wing wang. 

I hate all AC/DC except "You Shook Me (All Night Long)."

This conversation is OVER!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:20:50 pm »

Hate might be a strong word in my case. I don't own any AC/DC albums, and when they come on the radio I usually try to find something better on another station, but I don't find them actively offensive. They're just not my preference.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 01:37:24 pm »

I used to be with the AC/DC hate, but I'm a convert.  Hella raw emotion.  Also, my buddy Buddy, clued me into the fact that Angus Young is basically just playing blues licks at triple speed.  So I'm ok with AC/DC these days.

Funny story from high school.  I was hatin' on AC/DC and giving my friend a hard time about liking them.  He gets drunk and spray paints a big AC/DC on the cul de sac in front of my house. My dad thought it was an accusation of homosexuality.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »

I like jazz... seeing as I'm brownish, hopefully such a thing is not pretentious.

I like Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, I enjoy some of the standards quite a bit too.  I actually have a big collection of jazz Christmas tunes that I really enjoy each year, especially when I have to go to the mall.  Plug in my headphones, listen to Chet Baker and somehow all the stress of holiday shopping fades.

For newer stuff, I like Amos Lee, and he's purty too.  Regina Spektor draws a lot influence from jazz, and I quite enjoy her too, as I've expressed elsewhere.

I recently went to a Michael Buble arena concert because my MIL wanted to go, he's not someone I'm in to as much, but it was actually a wonderful show.  I was surprized to find he has a strong gay following.  A dude stood up at one point and yelled "make love to me Michael!!!" which was pretty fantastic.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »

I can see that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »

Today it clearly doesn't mean that. It probably means something like "rock music made ~20 years or more before today that was popular in its time."

thats what i fingered...

Regina Spektor draws a lot influence from jazz, and I quite enjoy her too, as I've expressed elsewhere.

she makes me think warm, melt-y thoughts.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

One of my best friends in the world had a super crush on Spektor when she was just the most popular student act at his college.

Or, you know, that's what he said.

He wasn't out at the time as a gay-leaning-bisexual so, like in retrospect, it seems like some of his crushes on women were actually sexual and some of them were more admiration that he was trying to convince himself of at the time. It is, of course, awkward as hell to ask him to delinate now that he is at peace with the fact that he likes mostly fellows but occasionally ladies. Seems rude.

My girlfriend knew her in passing and I had a few friends at that school knew her somewhere in-between those levels of friendship.

It is still mindblowing to know, though, that this woman is a fairly popular entertainer when it is not that long ago that she was a girl my friend had a crush on and we'd grill him about to try and get him to come to peace with the fact that he was, if not totally gay, mostly into dudes. He was such an unhappy cat when he couldn't admit it and we'd constantly try to help him get to dealing with it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »

Regina Spektor is another one I don't really get.  I don't like her voice, and that makes it hard for me to get into her music which is not my normal cup of tea.  I think I could like it if I liked her and her voice better.  On a personal level she seems... bratty?  And I don't know if she ever looked good, but she looks like a train wreck now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 08:56:48 pm »

Her looks kind of remind me of PJ Harvey.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 03:25:48 am »

accusation of homosexuality.

That made me laugh.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »

But also, what's up with all the AC/DC hate around these parts?

There has never been a rock station in New York that has not had the six biggest AC/DC hits in ultra-heavy rotation for their entire existance.  Classic rock station plays em, "new rock" station plays em, the old alternative... well you get the idea.  I've listened to these stinky pieces of shit at least six hundred times each in the past eight years, fuckin sick of it and I'm sick of these stations pandering to construction workers, I'm a fuck*ng doctor for piss sake.

At least the "new" rock station spares me Running With the Devil and Misty Mountain Hop.  They have this promo, "the only station in New York that plays 'new' rock," and then it immediately goes right into AC/DC, and then thirty minutes later they play more AC/DC!  Fuckin' cmon guys.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »


I'm sick of these stations pandering to construction workers, I'm a fuck*ng doctor for piss sake.

This explains a lot.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up