My mom is afraid of computers - the fear was of the "if I do the wrong thing it will somehow self destruct and possibly blow up" ilk. I kept trying to assure her that even the worst mistakes when using a computer can be undone or corrected, but with her illness, the fear and anxiety there was pretty strong.
The last time I had any real contact with my parents, which was several years ago, they basically didn't understand computers either, even though they had one. I remember at one point turning it on to check my email, and all this virus porn popped up, and my mom was all "just ignore that - I don't know what it is, but it shows up every time we turn it on." I'm talking about 20+ windows of porno popping up at start up, and the same windows re popping up over again, multiple times after closing them out.
I'm all "your computer has a virus."
"No. It's just pictures that come up."
"Yes. That is what a virus is. Unwanted stuff that comes up without your control and slows your computer down is a virus."
"I thought a virus was something that made your computer not work?"
"Do you consider your computer to be working properly if several pages of unwanted hardcore porn slow your computer down and pop up every time you turn it on or attempt to use it?"
"No!"
"How long has this been happening?"
"Oh I don't know - a few months. It can't be a virus. We have anti virus."
I checked, and sure enough they did have some anit-virus software - which had never been turned on or updated in the many years since they bought the computer. The software was beyond fixing whatever virus they had, and my mom was so upset that they had to pay a hundred bucks to have the virus cleared up that she mostly avoided the computer entirely after that.
The sad thing was that my dad also didn't realize it was virus, even though he was a university professor at the time and the one who at least understood the basics of email usage. My dad figured out how to use ebay with my help though, which says something. When he figured out ebay, my mom asked me teach her to buy something on ebay too, and she accidentally clicked "buy it now" on an Elton John CD, and got scared and didn't want to ever try again.
Oh my god. I have a lot of clarity on this because it's in the past, but thinking back on this, I haven't been this frustrated about my mom's anxiety disorder in a long time... It's sad how your own fear can become a prison.