Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283339 times)

0 Members and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1005 on: March 22, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »

I have a problem with the broad labeling of people who avoid contact with groups that have a higher local factor of committing harmful acts as racist and ignorant.

Maybe they're just trying to live their life without the hassle of a beat down and playing the percentages by keeping their head down and avoiding risk.

The other side of the coin here isn't necessarily all evil fucks like those kinds of broad strokes paint them.

Right, I agree with you. But some people take the "avoid contact with local groups" and apply that to the rest of the universe, with the criteria for avoidance being the color of someone's skin, not the context of place, time, and socioeconomic status. These are the same people who get nervous when they see a middle eastern-looking guy on an airplane, even if that guy is wearing a suit, has no accent, and is going to Wichita. That is needless anxiety that stems from having a touch of racism. It is understandable to a degree. It is not okay. But it's not evil.

But, you know, everyone's a little bit racist, anyway.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1006 on: March 27, 2012, 05:08:34 am »

My folks were over tonight for dinner.  We watched The Big Bang Theory after dinner.

My parents, my mother especially, I think, really love that show.  That's why I started watching it because my mother kept raving about how funny it is.  And I agree, it's a very funny show.  I especially like Sheldon's character.  The actor is from Houston and his character is from Texas.  Even though he's playing this super intelligent geek living in California, his natural Texas-ness keeps peeking through.

So as my folks are leaving my roommate Gerald says "It all started with the big bang" quoting the show's theme song.  My mother says "yeah right... That kept us from watching that show for a long time."  When Gerald walks back inside I say "did you get that?"  "What's that?" he says.  "My mother, she was saying she doesn't believe in the big bang."  "I don't know if I do either." Gerald says.

I don't really have anywhere else to take this so I am leaving it with you guys.  I know that my parents, my mother especially, are science deniers.  It's because of their Christian faith.  They don't believe in evolution either, of course.  I don't challenge them because it would be pointless and would only end in tears.  I just accept that this is who they are and live with it. 

And Gerald, well he's just a moron, so I don't challenge him either. 

Anyway, thanks guys for listening.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1007 on: March 27, 2012, 05:13:53 am »

Sometimes that is best. It took me too damn long to realize that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1008 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

I like the idea of The Big Bang Theory (the show) better than I actually like the show. It could have been done so much better. It's just that I watch it and it reminds me of Two and a Half Men, which I despise. So I watch The IT Crowd instead, it fills the "cheeky comedy show about people with autistic spectrum"-shaped hole in my heart.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1009 on: March 27, 2012, 12:33:30 pm »

I don't really have anywhere else to take this so I am leaving it with you guys.  I know that my parents, my mother especially, are science deniers.  It's because of their Christian faith.  They don't believe in evolution either, of course.  I don't challenge them because it would be pointless and would only end in tears.  I just accept that this is who they are and live with it. 

My philosophy on this, without going into too much detail, is: who gives a shit how we got here? We are all here now, and it's our job to get along.

Obviously, there are people for whom it actually matters -- archaeologists and paleontologists and clerics and whatnot. But for the rest of us, well, you just believe in anything you want and the [good Lord/ghost of Darwin] will provide.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1010 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »

shit tony says #43:

for me, science and faith go together.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1011 on: March 27, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »

Whoa, wait. It never occurred to me that people had an opinion about the Big Bang Theory due to their religion. Seriously?

I don't see the contradiction. Even if you think God created the universe - I mean, if you were going to create a universe wouldn't you take the chance to do it with a big bang?

This is totally different from the contrast between saying people started with Adam and Eve and people evolved from hairy animals. Aren't these people just being contrary because it's science? What's next, germ theory?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1012 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »

My philosophy on this, without going into too much detail, is: who gives a shit how we got here? We are all here now, and it's our job to get along.

Obviously, there are people for whom it actually matters -- archaeologists and paleontologists and clerics and whatnot. But for the rest of us, well, you just believe in anything you want and the [good Lord/ghost of Darwin] will provide.

I know med students (and some doctors by now) who do not believe evolution is a real thing. I think they will by and large by fine docs (or at least no worse than anyone else) but I do wonder how they fix that with stuff like the emergence of antibiotic resistance and genetic disorders. I assume the answer comes down to something that ends with 'but we're special'. Take that how you will.

Also giving a shit about how our universe and everything in it works (and by extension how we got here) is in my mind one of the most important and noble things you can do with your life, but I know in general that's just me.


I instinctively disliked the Big Bang Theory but so many of my friends like it that I've watched a few episodes. I can appreciate the humour (when it isn't just 'here's a geeky word or reference, isn't that funny?') but I can't get past the damn laugh track after every sentence.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1013 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »

it kills me that the big bang theory regularly trounces my favorite show on teevee, Community. somebody on metafilter said "TBBT is about normal people watching normal people pretend to be nerds, Community is about nerds watching a group of nerds pretend to be normal people" - you know what? just read that comment and understand why i'm forlorn.

re: denialism - engagement is the only way to get it to die out within a few generations, but knowing when to engage is just as important as doing it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1014 on: March 27, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

Everybody believes in evolution.

They believe they don't, but really they do.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1015 on: March 27, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »

The Big Bang Theory is pretty funny.  We've started watching it, despite the fact that it just prolongs tired stereotypes about smart people.  Sheldon's a classic wacky TV character, and I've liked Johnny Galecki since his days on Roseanne.

But Community?  Community is the funniest thing on TV and on my list of Best. TV. Shows. EVAR.  Multiple times I've found myself stunned at the multiple levels of comedy going on there.  I'm very glad it's back for at least one more season.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1016 on: March 27, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »

I watch Big Bang on the plane sometimes. It's funny enough, and Stan Lee was on an episode I saw.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1017 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »

Others before me have described BIG BANG THEORY as "a geek minstrel show" and...

While, of course, geeks have had it nowhere near as bad as African-Americans have, the general thrust of the idea seems to fit.

God I can't stand that show. Can't get past the surface "oh my God, this is how rich assholes who drive Beemers and were given their jobs by parents or fratbrothers think nerds act".

There is throwing up a little in the mouth literally occurs when I try to watch that show.

It's probably just me. I'm probably the asshole.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1018 on: March 27, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »

I liked it before whatsisname started sleeping with Penny. But I haven't seen much of it past the first season.

But I'll be honest, I just think Sheldon is cute. Not "look at the sweet widdle Aspie" cute, either; I would fuck the awkward out of that boy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1019 on: March 27, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »

I went to a Catholic school that mostly taught Creationism with a light sprinkle of Big Bang/evolution, but I had an atheist/agnostic dad who served as a counter balance.  

Paul speaks some good wisdom here.  Sometimes you just have to realize someone else's world view is what it is.  This is what I'm realizing about bat-shit.  There is no talking sense into her sensless head.  She's on notice with me when it comes to mouthing her racist garbage, this clearly doesn't mean she has changed her mind about it, just that she has changed her mind about me.   She's not spoken a word to me since the circle, so you can imagine that working 15 ft from someone who's being that hostile is not fun.  I flip flop between angrily wishing she had at least a tiny shred of self awareness to being thankful that she's leaving me alone.

In regard to the TV show, I agree wtih LFM - whenever it comes on I say "oh, look we're geeks, isn't that funny" then I change the channel.  I have no stomach for that show.  But then I have no stomach for most sitcoms.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 143   Go Up