Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283326 times)

0 Members and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1095 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »

my moms parents are both from Oswego, NY, so im part whatever is common up there(maternal gram says german/french/etc) and my sperm doner is from el salvador.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1096 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55:58 pm »

The moms is from Chile. Her dad's dad was British. The dad's people are from Ireland and Scotland and fancy old Puritan stock. I always forget about the "almost on the Mayflower!" part of my family because my grandfather got shunned (or something like that) so we don't have as much interaction with that part of the family.

I check Hispanic if it lets me check multiple options, otherwise Caucasian.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1097 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:17 am »

my moms parents are both from Oswego, NY, so im part whatever is common up there(maternal gram says german/french/etc) and my sperm doner is from el salvador.

I been to Oswego. (Ha ha, no I haven't - I recognized the name, but it just occurred to me that it's because of Lake Oswego.) Anyway, my dad is orginally from Binghampton, NY.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1098 on: May 16, 2012, 01:27:08 am »

I know of Oswego as a place where:

a.) a lot of people go to a SUNY college to drink for four years
b.) the Syracuse-area Ren Faire is based
c.) my dad used to freshwater salmon giraffe when he was healthier
d.) the local minor league wrestling troupe is based out of.

These things sound like a lot of things to know about a place but they are not.

They are the most superficial knowledge of a place possible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1099 on: May 16, 2012, 01:36:44 am »

English, Scots-Irish, French/Dutch.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1100 on: May 16, 2012, 04:42:48 am »

Polish all the ways, although I just found out that my mom's mom's mom's maiden name is a somewhat weird-sounding name (in Polish) that I assume was originally Lithuanian.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1101 on: May 16, 2012, 05:23:09 am »

oh yeah! My uncle traced my mom's maiden name back, and found out we were Moorish Jews in southern Spain. It is definitely a weird name that I have not heard anywhere, Spanish or otherwise.

As a kid I thought a lot about how all of the cool "ethnic" sounding names in my family got overridden by my dad's dad's boring last name. My great-grandmother was named Lizzy Blaney for godsake. Blaney, Munro, and of course on my mom's side cool Spanish names... and I end up with a boring-ass English name.

Although I really do like doing my WASPy White Guy impression. Wear a tie and shake someone's hand firmly while stating my name authoritatively, "Dan B____."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1102 on: May 16, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »

My SIL had to get married so that her "names would match," as she put it. She has a beautiful Spanish firstname-middlename contraction (one of those things they do in South America where they smush the two names together and drop a few syllables in the middle), and then a very boring, English last name. But her husband's father is Puerto Rican, so when she took his last name (she hyphenated), suddenly she's got this very long, South American-sounding name. This is not her actual name, but it's along the lines of "Maria Soledad Jones-Lopez."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1103 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

I'm half Slovenian, a quarter Tuscan Italian and a quarter Belorus.

I'mma whole crapload of southern and eastern European, basically.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1104 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:06 am »

lactose intolerant or no, 'smets?

(PC: lactase persistent)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1105 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »

Stay classy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1106 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »

Well, hell, if it was printed somewhere you're off the hook!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1107 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »

I wonder what the earring is meant to signify, my first thought it gay but I think that's more a modern thing, maybe gypsy?

Meanwhile if I were making a caricature for the sake of discrediting a race/religion/social group I wouldn't give them such sick threads.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1108 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:10 pm »

I rolled it out there for discussion Nabu, as I am continually blown away at the depth that those people at that time went to in order to build maybe the most fucked up version of shared reality I'm aware of.

I think your response is bullshit, so bite me lovely, bro. Go polish up your own class.



Well, sorry to twist up your undies as well.

I guess, for me personally, I see enough full-on racist bullshit right now, in my own day-to-day shared reality, that I don't need examples from the past to be shocked at (see Joel Ward's recent experience, for example). And indeed, I kind of like coming here and not getting additional examples of racism because of the fact that I am constantly undergoing a barrage of it. But I am happy for you that you have a low enough exposure to current racism that you find historical examples interesting instead of just another really depressing thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1109 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:30 am »

I guess my discussion wasn't the kind you wanted. Thanks for letting me play, winner.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 143   Go Up