Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282060 times)

0 Members and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1485 on: April 10, 2013, 03:14:08 am »

Posted along with a picture of a US$2 bill...

It's a reasonably funny story, I guess, but can somebody tell me what a couple of young kids not recognizing a bill that comprises less than 1% of the bills in circulation has to do with the recent election?

Side note: the artwork on the back side of the Deuce is a reproduction of a painting by a direct ancestor of mine. The original is in the rotunda of the national archives, I go see it whenever I'm in D.C.
Also, they are bad at voting because they don't know something that is common sense to me! I'm sure there are no subjects for which the reverse is true.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1486 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:32 am »

I meant to say this a while ago, but I actually had coworkers who didn't believe a $2 was real. I also had some customers ask me if $1 coins were real money.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1487 on: April 10, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

I had a weird moment the other day when I realized the baby I'm carrying will never know a world with pennies.  Pennies were always a part of childhood to me.  Adults didn't care about them, you could find them lying on the sidewalk, and yet, with one you could get a bit of candy from a machine, or save enough of them up and you could go to the store and get a nice jolt of sugar.  The penny candy store!  Long gone.  Sigh.

Yesterday I had a parking meter (which I put a dollar coin into) spit out a nickle in change as I had parked in a spot that would be free in 55 minutes.  I thought I was terribly quaint that it gave me back my nickle.  I haven't noticed, can you get a gumball for a nickle these days?

I have never known a world with pennies, I have a couple of old 2 dollar notes that I got as a birthday present when I was young but it's been coins all the way down since then. On the other hand abortion still isn't strictly legal in my state and my brother couldn't get married to a dude if he wanted. So I guess the future is never quite what you'd like.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1488 on: April 10, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »

We were at the Jefferson Memorial this weekend. They give out $2 bills as change at the gift shop. ZING!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1489 on: April 10, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »

Story is bull because 7 layer burritos cost more than $1.04 at the cheapest Taco Bell franchises. ~1.79.

I think somebody pointed out that this story has been circulating for many years. I guess they need to update the price.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1490 on: April 10, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »

Also, George Washington dollars were "new" in 2007.  Although to be honest I don't run across the dollar coins all that much anyway.  I think we should scrap the paper dollar altogether.  The buying power fits with change at this point.  I really liked the Sacajawea ones.  They're probably all stuffed in kids' piggy banks across the country.  Maybe when those kids get college age there will be a sudden flood of them into the market.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1491 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »

We talked about that on this board at one point. Apparently production of the dollar coins are mandated by Congress and they are filling up warehouses because nobody wants them.

At least that's what the news story I heard on NPR said. I want to use them, but I never receive them in change. Perhaps I should ask for them.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1492 on: April 10, 2013, 07:04:23 pm »

Maybe they'd be so worked up they'd stop whining about ObamaCare microchip implants and Secret Muslim Footbaths in Congress.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1493 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »

Can you imagine how badly people would flip out if paper was replaced with one and two dollar coins? ...

Goddammit, it'd take some balls to do it but it'd be cool as hell.

That's pretty much what they did in Canada, right? Just told everyone "deal with it" and announced that paper bills would be worthless by such-and-such date? And now everyone loves their loonies and toonies. Sometimes (OK, many times) the American public is too stubborn for its own damn good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1494 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »

That's pretty much what they did in Canada, right? Just told everyone "deal with it" and announced that paper bills would be worthless by such-and-such date? And now everyone loves their loonies and toonies. Sometimes (OK, many times) the American public is too stubborn for its own damn good.

Yup, that's pretty much how it went down.  I'm not sure if the affect was broader than I'm aware of, but for me it meant that I stopped carrying cash most of the time and primarily use debit, and that seems to be the case for most people I interact with up here.  I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1495 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:03 pm »

I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?

No, that's the way it is here. It doesn't say In God We Trust on my debit card.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1496 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:28 am »

No, that's the way it is here. It doesn't say In God We Trust on my debit card.

That was canworthy, good sir.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1497 on: April 11, 2013, 01:59:12 pm »

I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?

They've tried introducing dollar coins several times over the past 25 years or so. People come up with bullshit reasons why they don't like them. Too close in size to quarters. Too big, I don't want to carry a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket. My cash register doesn't have an extra slot for dollar coins. And all the sound reasons for having them--primarily that they last much longer than paper bills and will ultimately save the government money--get ignored, despite all our bitching about how the government needs to spend less. So for once I wish our leadership would just say "quit your bitching and adjust," and in five years no one will care.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1498 on: April 11, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »



Quote
Did the US Government already know something?
Five dollar bill shows the twin towers, Ten dollar bill shows after the planes collided, Twenty dollar bill shows the building collapsing, Fifty dollar bill shows the dust and the smoke, One Hundred dollar bill shows a new beginning...The monies are all shaped like Airplanes... What a Coincidence huh!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1499 on: April 11, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »

it should have a u.s. flag with a great big $1 on the obverse, and a grown male deer head on the obverse; it would just be called a buck; it should supplant the paper dollar and the penny at the same time. it would be our loonie, and people are idiots for resisting it.

i'd also like to see a different motto, because "in god we trust" falsely assumes quite a bit about our population and founders, but we can't even introduce a popular dollar coin, so how the fuck are we going to get church out of state there? (see also pledge of allegiance) has anybody coined the term faithist yet? if not, dibs.

* Choop googles
urbandictionary already has it defined according to my intent, so i missed out there, but other references are to a religion i've never heard of from the late 1800s. oh well.

jesus paul, that's ridiculous
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 143   Go Up