Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 281867 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1755 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »

(also if you don't like OPS+ that's what wOBA is for)
Yes, and wRC+ is wOBA adjusted for park and league, since you were complaining that his stats were inflated by shady energy deals and orange juice. Edit: He played premium defensive positions at a mostly competent level and ran the bases well, as mentioned, so just looking at whether his wOBA or OPS were league average doesn't tell the story. A second baseman who hits 15 percent above league average for along career is a HOFer. Among second basemen with a minimum of 5500 plate appearances (roughly 10 years), he is 21st between Lou Whitaker, a guy who should be in the hall of fame, and Bobby Doerr,
a hall of famer whose wRC+ is slightly worse despite not having nearly as long of a career.

Bobby Grich should be in the hall of fame as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:54:35 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1756 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

Heck, his home/road splits say the first one.
I don't think that's the way home/road splits work. Most players play better at home. Road splits =! true talent level. Take Matt Holliday. Everyone thought he'd be mediocre once he was away from Coors because of his home/road splits, but he's hit almost as well at Busch, one of the least friendly offensive environments.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1757 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »

That flagpole pisses me off so bad.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1758 on: January 07, 2014, 11:34:37 pm »

Any time I have a longer conversation with a customer I liked, they either end up being endlessly awesome, or completely awful. Never "huh, I guess that was about what I expected."

The people who go out of their way to compliment me/my drinks/my behavior more than once are always assholes. Always. They like me because I bend over backwards to make them happy. They are friendly to me because I give them what they want. The second something doesn't go their way they turn on me like a fuck*ng wild dog.

This one lady, though, her name is literally Joy. Every time I talk to her it brightens my day. She has adorable kids and always sticks around the extra thirty seconds to make chit-chat. And she is hilarious. I never know how to tell people like this how much I appreciate them without going overboard. I don't need every customer (or even most) to have this kind of interaction with me, but every once in a while it happens and makes my whole day better.

I am an over-emoter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:40:44 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1759 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:32 pm »

Just smile at her and say, "It was nice to see you today, Joy".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1760 on: January 08, 2014, 12:25:51 am »

Right, but I'm looking at the disparity between his home and road splits versus the standard deviation. What I'm saying is he was better at home than average and worse on the road. My explanation for that is comfort and that shit-damn-hole of a bandbox he got for a home field.

They can sit on that damn flag pole in center while they're at it.
And I'm saying he's just one of many players who hits better at home regardless of the park. He never played for another team to prove this, but looky here:
10876 career ABs
Minute Maid (2340 ABs): .285/.353/.466
Astrodome (3141 ABs): .291/.383/.430



Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1761 on: January 08, 2014, 02:43:25 am »

I don't know why exactly I'm not more in Biggio's corner. He's got great numbers, maybe not HOF numbers, but whatever and he spent his entire career on one team which is something I really admire. I'm into continuity like that. I guess part of it is because so many people around here just assume it's a done deal that he's a dead lock cinch and I have to shake my head. He also played a most of his career during the years when I would have nothing to do with Major League Baseball because they canceled the World Series. That event rendered it impossible for me to give a fuuuuck about anyone that plays professional sports.

While we're on the subject of not giving a fuck, as far as I'm concerned the home run records still belong to Hank Aaron and Roger Maris. Fuck Barry Bonds, Fuck Mark McGuire, Fuck Sammy Sosa. How can those stats matter anymore when the players were juiced, and the ball was juiced too? I've heard it said that juicing the ball was designed to up the numbers and is credited with "saving the game" after the strike, but it's just driven me further away. Factor into that all of these ridiculous retro stadiums every team (with a few exceptions) plays in and I can't see how it'll be possible for me to ever give a fuck about MLB again.

From now on I'm a Skeeters fan.

PS- There will never be another Nolan Ryan.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1762 on: January 08, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »

Someone who gives a fuck about the thread title should split off all this baseball stuff.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1763 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:19 pm »

yo wombles it's your forum what with bozack gone for so long and nobody likes steppin on toes
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1764 on: January 08, 2014, 03:07:23 pm »

I'm done ranting on the subject so I think it'll be okay. But c'mon, that was some quality venting.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1765 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

Biggio missed by two votes. I blame Paul.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1766 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »


You were King Kong, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1767 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:50 am »

Shit my PAM does!



So glad my TV dream girl is back in a new season.

ill fight you for her.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1768 on: January 15, 2014, 03:31:09 am »

get in line, newb
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1769 on: January 15, 2014, 04:35:01 pm »

i skipped chozen, figured i'd give it a couple weeks and watch a few in a row before i decide whether to add it to my lineup.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 143   Go Up