I take baby Z to Walmart today, it is her nap time so it's handy to run some errands while she snoozes in her stroller, which is something she does quite contentedly if undisturbed. We had come straight there from her baby group, so she'd had lots of engagement and interaction and was ready for a rest. Z is droopy eyed going in and out and well on her way to dream land, but not quite asleep as I head inside. I am walking along and I see one of the blue vest associates is one of those "coo-coo for babies" high energy people -- old enough to be a grandmother -- the type that should know better than to disturb a baby, but either is too stupid or doesn't care. She is locking on to the stroller with her eyes, saying "look at that baby!" to her coworkers, so I give the lady a firm shake of my head, which she seems to ignore, then I quickly steer the stroller away. I seem to have evaded her, and go about my business. Z is in that half daze of not-quite but not-quite-not asleep, and she is so due for a nap after a rough night of teething pain. So I am in the Fruit of the Loom isle, looking for my size and suddenly the "coo-coo for babies" associate is right in the isle, crouched down with her head in the stroller, face to face with Z. She had to have been following me, because she basically sprung on us.
Associate: Look at the baaaaybee!
Me: She's sleeping, please leave her...
Associate: No she's not! Her eyes are open! HEEELLLOOO baby!
Me: Well, she was falling asleep, but you're waking her up. Please leave her alone.
Associate (to Z):You''re not asleep! HELO! You're eyes are WIIIIDE open!
Me: She needs to nap. GO. AWAY.
Assocaite: You don't want to sleep, do you Baaaybeee?
Me: Oh, my god, stop! Seriously. Leave her alone.
Associate (laughing): Good bye sweetie!
Me: Thanks a lot. (Sigh)
I was so pissed off with this lady that I actually considered asking to speak to a manager, but what would my complaint be apart from "this lady is a clueless idiot." Z is a pretty laid back baby, so she just sort woke up and sat there looking shell shocked as I shopped, but she missed her nap entirely, and my hope to run a few more errands was squandered as she got more fussy from lack of rest and I needed to take her home for an in-the-bed nap instead. FUUUUUUU!