Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282394 times)

0 Members and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1920 on: December 05, 2014, 04:08:58 am »

Most weirdly tone-deaf thing I have seen in a while-- my aunt's sister-in-law posted on her wall "Hey [aunt], so nice seeing you and my brother the other night! It had been a while since I'd laughed that hard, or seen [my uncle] laugh that hard! See you guys again soon."

...with a link to a youtube video that was just jokes about police brutality? Timing? Yikes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1921 on: December 06, 2014, 12:34:36 am »

So many people I know repeating this meme about "the system isn't broken, it was built to oppress black people." Maybe we do not agree on what makes something "broken." That sounds like a pretty bad system to me? Like, that is not carrying out the function we want it to? = Broken? We want to fix it? What is the point you're trying to make here? It feels like weirdly focusing on a word choice that like, let's be honest, you know what people mean when they say that, right?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're missing the point. They could be speaking sarcastically. It sounds like what they are really saying is, we can't fix the system because the system is inherently flawed and what's needed is a totally different system. Anarchy, perhaps.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1922 on: December 06, 2014, 12:51:49 am »

That's the way it reads to me, too.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1923 on: December 06, 2014, 07:35:54 am »

Yeah, I think that is their point. That the concept of police is basically to keep people in line. Which seems historically true. And that specifically in America, our entire country is based, historically, on exploiting black/brown people. Which is probably true.

But at the same time, other countries manage to have cops that don't kill people. I think that could be a cool goal for us.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1924 on: December 07, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

But at the same time, other countries manage to have cops that don't kill people.

They don't have as many brown people.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1925 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:31 pm »

They don't have as many brown people.

This is not the explanation. They have plenty of racial tension in England, for instance. But their cops don't carry guns.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1926 on: December 07, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »

My partners in this real estate project won't stop referring to equity and loans interchangably. "We're borrowing $_____ from our equity partner." No. An equity partner is a partner. It is not borrowing. You borrow from a bank. Someone investing in your company is not the same as "borrowing" from them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1927 on: December 08, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

My partners in this real estate project won't stop referring to equity and loans interchangably. "We're borrowing $_____ from our equity partner." No. An equity partner is a partner. It is not borrowing. You borrow from a bank. Someone investing in your company is not the same as "borrowing" from them.
Ahem. This infuriates me. Equity is shares in a joint venture. You can "borrow" from an "equity partner" but that just means he gets more shares and larger share in the venture. A more appropriate explanation would be a personal guarantee. I frequently ride lines of credit from a partner of mine. He does the same to me depending on who has more free hard cash on hand.  He runs a scrap yard so he typically has plenty of cash. I borrow 90k from him for a renovation project in Newark and I return his cash a month later with a small cut of the project. In return I find 50 odd k "missing" from my part of the account that he uses to buy a car or tractor or whatever and it mysteriously reappears later. But you are correct. Equity and loans are not interchangeable. One buys shares in the venture, the other is extension of credit with an interest rate. What I'm describing is a sort of agreement between a couple dudes, which is much more preferable to banks because of taxes, paperwork, and nonsense. On the downside, if this guy rips me off I have no recourse other than showing up to his scrap yard with a couple muscle men.

PS: What are you trying to buy? A rehab project or a rental?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:45:35 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1928 on: December 08, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

sorry, left out a word there: real estate CLASS project. I am not buying anything. But the project is a rehab.

I went through and fixed all the places where they wrote "lender" instead of "partner" in the powerpoint, and I made the pro-forma so it doesn't say it anywhere in there. Still worried they'll somehow say it while giving the presentation.

OMFG these people keep editing old versions of things that don't represent my changes. The "final" version of the powerpoint has the word "lender" all over it. And all wrong numbers and charts. Presentation is in half an hour. Whyyy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:26:40 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1929 on: December 09, 2014, 04:59:43 am »

OMFG these people keep editing old versions of things that don't represent my changes. The "final" version of the powerpoint has the word "lender" all over it. And all wrong numbers and charts. Presentation is in half an hour. Whyyy.

You need to distance yourself from these people. They have much bigger problems than knowing the difference between equity and loan.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1930 on: December 09, 2014, 06:28:18 am »

Well, unfortunately the worst offender is probably going to keep being in my classes until I graduate. This guy is DENSE.

Bad news, though, I did some calculation wrong somewhere and our whole presentation was based on bad numbers. It is tempting to say that if I had been paired with different people, they would have double-checked or noticed that our returns seemed too high. But probably need to say "my bad."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1931 on: December 09, 2014, 05:40:49 pm »

I say it's totally legit to blame them. You were spending time fixing mistakes that they kept changing back to mistakes. How could you possibly rise above that and double check your figures?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1932 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:53 pm »

That shitty file management thing you talked about takes me back to when I worked in a refinery. Were you with us then Inev? My boss was the biggest dummy. Had an epic mullet. This was something he did and it was maddening. And he was the boss.  Fuck these people.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1933 on: December 09, 2014, 06:19:17 pm »

I feel very strongly about this. You are describing this guy!


RUN from their poison!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1934 on: December 09, 2014, 07:04:11 pm »

That is some fine-ass mulletage.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 143   Go Up