Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: For our own good?  (Read 17456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:44 am »

My question is as follows: Is your local community so utopian that every real crime has been prevented and solved and every real criminal has been captured and brought to justice? If so, please enlighten the rest of the world as to how you arrived at that situation. If no, then stop looking for cell phones and get back to looking for the rapists, murderers, and thieves.

You could make the argument that if the number of deaths from motor vehicle crashes exceeds the number of murders that you should indeed me putting more money into enforcing petty little rules like this. I don't know if that's the actual case or not though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

You could make the argument that if the number of deaths from motor vehicle crashes exceeds the number of murders that you should indeed me putting more money into enforcing petty little rules like this. I don't know if that's the actual case or not though.
Yeah I guess. But when a family in CT gets their home invaded and mother and daughter are raped and murdered while the father is chained in the basement where he listens to it all happen, that gets in the news. I want my police officers spending more time making sure that doesn't happen and less time bugging me about talking on the cell phone.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 02:34:58 pm »

To be fair, I don't know that anything other than a complete police state could make sure that doesn't happen.

That's the sort of thing that the cops can investigate and intercede in once they know it is going on but...

Yeah.

It is also incredibly rare, that kinda thing. So awful that it seems like things such as that happen more often than they do but they're actually really rare.

A dude or a lady getting in a car wreck that really messes some people happens all the time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »

Wait, I'm a little confused over this zero-sum game we're playing. Does this mean we should only enforce the laws against the worst crime, and then when we've cleared it up move to the next one? I dfon't think that's the way it works.

Also, people talking on cell phones in the car kill people. They just do. So that's murder, or at least manslaughter, and ought to be dealt with accordingly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »

The zero-sum game is that by law enforcement's own admissions they have limited resources. There are X amount of dollars to pay Y amount of officers for Z amount of time. How those officers spend their time must be managed to achieve the ultimate goal of public safety. What is a greater danger to public safety; the person talking on their cellphone or the guy planning to invade a home? What is the most effective way to stop the greater danger? Is it spending time busting criminals who may move on to the home invasion echelon or is it spending time standing on a street corner writing tickets to every person who happens to be on their cellphone while driving? I don't claim to have the answer, but I personally feel like those limited resources should be spent finding and prosecuting the criminals.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »

I'd be interested in learning more about the stats related to the likelyhood of someone getting murdered vs getting injured in a cell related car accident.  I'm willing to bet that more people are injured seriously in traffic related offenses than by murderers.  For my own selgiraffe reasons, I'd like the police to work on preventing the harm that is most likely to happen to me. 

There are plenty of cops in the high crime area where I live, and some of them are traffic cops, some are beat cops, some homicide cops.  I believe each serves their purpose.  For me, living in an area where shootings happen every week, in spite of plenty of beat cops patrolling the area, the whole "more cops as the solution to serious crime" rings hollow.  What we need more of in my area is prevention and engaged, participatory community members.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »

oh god, now I'm imagining the future, when teenagers have conversations where they get self-righteous about friends who talk on a phone in/near a car.
"TALKING AND DRIVING KILLS. YOU'RE AN IDIOT."
"wait, guys, have you ever driven a car? do you know anything about this? I... I'm not talking and driving. I am not even close to doing that."
"MY MOM SAID I SHOULD TAKE YOUR KEYS AWAY."

ok this parallel is not working out as well as it does in my head.

A grade idea and effort, C grade results.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »

I guess the question comes down to what law enforcement can actually effectively DO.

Erratic driving in the public sphere is something that a cop on a public patrol can theoretically spot and intercede upon/intimidate people out of doing.

The kind of ultra-violent crime you're talking about fundamentally happens outside of the public sphere and is almost non-preventable if a criminal is systematic about it.

I mean, you aren't going to meet a white person less sympathetic to the police than me. The fact that the local police ran my dad off the city council when I was a kid by framing him for selling liquor to a minor because he wanted to save the local library by not upping the police budget as much as the cops wanted that year, even though they were a small town police force that hasn't had to fire a gun in action in 100 years... a mistrust  of the police is burned into me behind my eyes.

But even I'm sympathetic to the fact that there are tragedies that police can intervene pre-emptively upon effectively and ones they cannot.

There's probably more marginal utility to the effort against erratic driving accidents,  yeah?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 04:54:21 pm »

What is a greater danger to public safety; the person talking on their cellphone or the guy planning to invade a home?

I'm willing to bet that the social costs of automobile accidents exceed the costs of home invasions by several orders of magnitude.  Home invasion is an extremely rare thing, MVAs as a result of distracted driving are extremely common. 

And honestly, in my personal experience, the loss of productivity related to injuries from automobile accidents is very significant.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:11:03 pm by side_show »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

I'm willing to bet that the social costs of automobile accidents exceed the costs of home invasions by several orders of magnitude.  Home invasion is an extremely rare thing, MVAs as a result of distracted driving are extremely common.
MVAs as a result of distracted are extremely common, but how fatal are they? An overwhelming percentage of auto accidents result in an insurance claim and a trip to the auto-body shop, not the graveyard. A home invasion is a potent and exponentially greater cost per incident.
SC of MVA f(m)=m*500 (This number is small because of the above mentioned dilution of cost relative to the magnitude of the average auto accident)
SC of HI f(h)=h*10,000,000 (The costs of life insurance plus property insurance and the psychological trauma to the victims, etc)
If m=1,000,000 accidents
and h=100 home invasions
SC of MVA=500,000,000
SC of HI=10,000,000,000,000
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »

And honestly, in my personal experience, the loss of productivity related to injuries from automobile accidents is very significant.

I think death and homelessness cause some pretty significant drains on productivity as well.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2010, 08:08:25 pm »

And honestly, in my personal experience, the loss of productivity related to injuries from automobile accidents is very significant.


WTF?  I wrote that... why does it say AW wrote it?  That is so weird.

** edit: ah shit.  It seems that instead of quoting AW's post, I clicked "Modify" and somehow deleted it... sorry about that AW.  You made some good points there, and unfortunately I fucked it up.  **
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »

Thats what happens when autocrats go nuts with drunken power, side-show. Let this be a lesson to us all.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »

I wish I were drunk, but I'm stuck at work.  Call it cabin fever.  There was a terrible storm overnight here, and it's still storming.  I'm sitting next to a window, watching it storm, bored out of my skull.  Most of my coworkers couldn't make it in, and I'm only here to provide back up should an emergency come up. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »

btw i'm totally stealing fumbduck.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up