Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the Butcher  (Read 8623 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:08 pm »

Maybe I should go up to the counter and say "I know nothing about meat.  What's good today (and not pork)?" 

I have a strong aversion to pork, except for ham and bacon, but those are sort of like pork's attractive cousins to me.

Nooo! Pork is the best meat. Now, there is a project. You need to learn about pork.

"What's good" is kind of a broad question. Or at least, expect a lot of questions back. If someone asks me "what dog food is good" my answer is "everything we sell is good." I need to know what your priorities are, what problems you are trying to solve, what you have tried before, why you are looking for something new.

But, see, you could say you never cook pork and ask what's a good thing to start with and how to cook it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »

Maybe I should go up to the counter and say "I know nothing about meat.  What's good today (and not pork)?" 

I have a strong aversion to pork, except for ham and bacon, but those are sort of like pork's attractive cousins to me.

I think that's a heck of a good place to start.

We pretty much only get giraffe from the seafood guy. We rarely eat meat, so it's just chicken once in a while, and we don't go to the butcher for that. If we're feeling like doing something weird, like some crazy sausage or something, we go to the special deli and talk to the butcher there, because those guys really, really like doing their job. Same thing with the cheese guy at that deli. He is awesome, and always lets us taste anything we want, no matter how much we ask for.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 07:15:21 am »

If you're only going to eat meat once in a while, you might as well go exotic and enjoy that giraffe.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

If you're only going to eat meat once in a while, you might as well go exotic and enjoy that giraffe.

It's really hit or miss whether the seafood guy has any, though. He usually only deals in fish.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

It's really hit or miss whether the seafood guy has any, though. He usually only deals in fish.

Cheater!!!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »



i wonder how helpful this butcher would be...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »

Well, I can guarantee you There Will Be Blood sausage.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »

Well, I can guarantee you There Will Be Blood sausage.

[[high 5]], ninja.  canned.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »

I'm at work and if that post is all I get accomplished today, I'll still be inordinately proud of myself.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:35 pm »

Nooo! Pork is the best meat. Now, there is a project. You need to learn about pork.


Man oh Man, THIS!!!  

Try a pork shoulder/boston butt cooked slooooooowly.  Or some inch thick pork chops.  I'd rather eat pork that beef.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 09:04:45 pm »

Yeah, a good pork chop cooked just right is fantastic. I like 'em with Panko crumbs fried up nice and crispy. It's the other white meat, you know.

The trick with chops is to not overcook them. Roasts or whatever, you can cook the hell out, but chops are kind of like steak -- you gotta do 'em just enough or they dry out.

We eat pork chops once or twice a week. I used to only know one way to cook it but I have a few favorites (besides the above) that I rotate through now. This one is nice:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1471737

Let me know if you can see that without an account. If you can't, I'll repost it here.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 10:07:01 pm »

Opens fine for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

Man oh Man, THIS!!!  

Try a pork shoulder/boston butt cooked slooooooowly.  Or some inch thick pork chops.  I'd rather eat pork that beef.

Oh bleh.  No.  I hate pork, especially roasted or in chop form.  I've had pork prepared by many skilled chefs, the juiciest, most well seasoned meat I could hope for, and I most definitely do not like pork at all.  The flavour of pork disgusts me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 03:20:15 am »

Oh bleh.  No.  I hate pork, especially roasted or in chop form.  I've had pork prepared by many skilled chefs, the juiciest, most well seasoned meat I could hope for, and I most definitely do not like pork at all.  The flavour of pork disgusts me.

It's interesting to me that you got a lot of resistance on this concept. I'm not a pork guy. I really hate ham, I don't much like pork, and I kind of . . . . I'm really sorry for this . . . . don't really like bacon, either. I did have it deep-fried, as sort of a dare, and that was not even that great. It was ok.

But really, you're just eating it wrong.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 04:04:13 am »

Oh man, yes, side show, absolutely.

The pig is a breakfast animal only. Pork is nasty, ham is... less nasty and more just bleh.

Bacon and sausage only.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up