Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I never...  (Read 16127 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:44 pm »


Smells, go to Disneyland in California. Since it is the first and oldest it practically counts as a historic site. I never wanted to go, but my friend who grew up around there convinced me and it was absolutely fun. I don't do a lot of dumb mindless fun things, but I think because they are just incredibly good at what they do (and because thank God the "it's a small world" ride was broken) I had a really good time.

I've been to Disneyworld several times and Disneyland oncet.  -Land was a weird experience.  We went on our "honeymoon" which was actually about 8 months after we got married.  It was in March on a weekday and the place was empty.  I remember getting off Space Mountain and just walking right back on without a wait.  Weird.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

I've never been married.  I guess that's pretty out of the ordinary.

Hey, me neither!

Yes, but you're a pup and you really want to be married and inevitably you almost surely will.

I've never met Paul or JL or Golfhaus or Q, which is silly. I have lived near JL and Golfhaus and Q, and I feel like EVERYONE but me has met Paul. What gives?

I've only met a few people from this board.  I'd like to meet you all, but at this point it's more normal to have not met me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 04:15:48 pm »

they are just incredibly good at what they do

This. I recommend -World, actually, because you have 4 parks to choose from now (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios) plus Downtown Disney (which replaced Pleasure Island, the grown-up, after-dark Disney destination, with booze). There's more to do and see, and if you're going that far, you probably want to go to the place with the most to offer and stay for a few more days.

Disclaimer: I have never been to -Land, this is just what I have heard from people who have been to both. But their information may be out of date.

What really made it fun for me, besides having kids and enjoying their enjoyment, was that I got one of the guidebooks that tells you "behind the scenes" stuff and trivia about each park -- stuff like what the names on the shops above Main Street refer to, and what the house numbers around Liberty Square mean. It even talked about the little details in the individual rides -- the tombstones in the Haunted Mansion, for instance -- and it is absolutely amazing how nothing about the park is there by accident.

Everything you see, if you think it has some kind of secret meaning, it probably does. I spent the whole week with my eyes open as wide as possible, trying to notice as many of the "secrets" as possible. It does inspire a sense of childlike wonder and curiosity in that way, which is a rare thing in modern life.

Anyway, back on topic: Pedro has never lived alone either. I really liked living alone, but one of my roommates wasn't too bad because she was a design student, so I was in class all day and she was in the studio all night. I only had to see her on weekends, and we were friends so we hung out and had fun.

I live three hours from a ski resort but I've never been snow skiing. I was going to say I've never killed anything but then I remember that I hit a deer with my car about ten years ago and it definitely did not make it out alive. (Neither did the car.)

I have never had so much to drink that I lost the ability to remember what happened the night before, or passed out.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 04:58:47 pm »

No - I just wont go to Disneyland or world.  I just wont.  I hate everything about them.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 05:15:33 pm »

So do I. Seriously, nowadays Disney is part of everything that is wrong with American culture, to me. Which is exactly why it was so utterly fascinating that it was enjoyable anyway.

I don't recommend making a special trip there but if you were in the area anyway I would not avoid it. See, this is also the thing about Disneyland - a person might well be in Southern California for other reasons, and if so, one day at Disneyland is worth the effort. Disney World on the other hand - I don't know why anyone would be around there except especially to go there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »

Ooh, I have another one: I have never broken a bone.

Until I was 30, I could say I'd never had a cavity/filling, but I got two of them within six months of my 30th birthday. None since, though -- knock on wood.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 09:30:16 pm »

I've never had a cavity either!  For me it's definitely genetics, because I'm terribly inconsistent with dental care.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »

I've never broken a bone either. Is it really that common?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »

I've also never broken a bone.  My guess is it's less common for women to break bones than men, as men proportionately end up in jobs where their bodies are more at risk of injury than women do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 10:41:19 pm »

I dunno, my brother broke his ankle, like, four times in high school and college. But he played sports, which I would imagine increases your risk for broken bones about a hundredfold over being on the quiz bowl team.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 10:45:40 pm »

Yeah, I don't think it's really about jobs, but rather the crazy shit young men/ kids do.  I had broken 8 bones and had 3 concussions by the time I was 16.  I still have had 8 broken bones and 3 concussions at 26.  The ladies get to catch up later in life on this, right?


Never-  had cavity
Gone skiing/snowboarding (lived in Colorado for 3 years)
Been fired
Been to a play
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:38 pm »

For instance, in college we used to play this game in a long hallway in our apartment, usually while drunk and high, where one person would run at the other as fast as possible and try to get to the end of the hall.  The other person would try to tackle them.  Nobody ever got hurt but there were at least five large holes in the walls.  This is after we had somewhat matured too, so imagine what we were doing at 16 or whatever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »

That all makes sense except that of the four people I know who I can think of  off the top of my head who broke a bone, three are female.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13:31 am »

I have also never broken a bone.

I don't have any fillings in my adult teeth either.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I never...
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 04:50:33 am »

I've never seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up