Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Some TV show I didn't just see.  (Read 58991 times)

0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2012, 03:14:40 am »

I watched the entire second season of Louis in 2 days. That is a very good show. I especially liked the part where he fucked Joan Rivers. And the scene where he talked about shitting 4 donuts was hilarious.

Love Louie.  Did you see the one where he takes the kids to see his Great-Aunt?  It's the first one I ever saw.  It reminded me so much of Achewood.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2012, 03:40:07 am »

Love Louie.  Did you see the one where he takes the kids to see his Great-Aunt?  It's the first one I ever saw.  It reminded me so much of Achewood.

Yes, I watched that episode last night.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2012, 04:34:20 am »

I could go on about GoT endlessly I think, so I'd be down with a dedicated thread.  I've seen both seasons and am about 83% done with the second book according to my Kindle.  At this point my plan is not to read ahead - we'll see how that goes once I actually run out of book and Season 3 remains months away.  I was glad I hadn't read ahead with book 2 though; the fate of Bran and Rickon had me twisting in the wind for a week and going back and forth in discussions with other watchers.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2012, 06:11:54 am »

i've read book three, and am rereading from the start before i crack book 4, due to timing circumstances

the author used to write  TV episodes, so it must have been a fair challenge to keep, translating from one to th eother.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »

Was there a consensus on whether you should read the books before you start watching the show in this case?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 03:37:41 am »

My friends and I watched the first series together and loved it, they read the books and then watched the second and were really down on it whereas. I didn't read the books but liked the second series alright. Did the same thing with girl with the dragon tattoo movie actually. I think it might be my new policy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:08 am »

Something about reading a story before seeing it onscreen seems to make people pickier.  I think its because you invest yourself in picturing things in a certain way; hearing the characters' voices, seeing their appearance, envisioning the scene etc.  You don't need to make that investment as a viewer, and when you read the story later its interesting to see how the screenwriter adapted the story (although maybe that makes it less immersive?)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

ive been slowly making my way through ST:DS9(insta-view on netflix).

I rewatched that on DVD a few years back. It's definitely much better that way than on syndicated TV where you miss episodes and they aren't necessarily in order.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:19 pm »

I have also been watching Louie, intermittently plowing through on the DVR. I think the season one finale, where he goes to the nightclub, is the best so far.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:22 pm »

Was there a consensus on whether you should read the books before you start watching the show in this case?

My question on that was in re: The Hunger Games. There was no consensus on that. I am not planning on reading these books, pretty much ever. Pedro has read them and he says while the series leaves out some small details, it's involved enough without those details that I won't get much more in the way of plot or character development from the books.

Apparently, G.R.R.Martin was tired of writing for TV, so he decided to write a series of books filled with so much sex, violence, and horror that it couldn't possibly be put on the air. So he published the first book and within weeks was contacted by HBO. Apparently after he stopped facepalming and looked at the string of zeroes on the check he decided that writing for TV wasn't that bad after all.

So who's gonna start this thread? And can we agree to keep spoilers limited to Season 1 until everyone (meaning me) has had a chance to get caught up?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:24 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:02 am »

Turtleman is badass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »

I am watching Breaking Bad from the first episode on.  AMC is reairing each episode, in consecutive order leading up to the new season starting, and the PVR is hopping. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »

I just finished watching four seasons of Breaking Bad. It's very good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2012, 02:20:06 am »

I just finished watching four seasons of Breaking Bad. It's very good.

I just started and I'm already inclined to agree with you. I am also obsessively trawling youtube for episodes of QI.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up