Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Some TV show I didn't just see.  (Read 58876 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2015, 01:34:40 am »

My understanding is that this is true because such anime are generally about nubile young ladies. Or maybe that is what you mean by "Japanese version of Friends"?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2015, 01:55:15 am »

yeah, it seems like there are often anime babes falling in love with nerdy anime guys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2015, 06:20:15 am »

I think Totoro counts as anime for Americans just because the studio is so massively successful and respected, even though the style is different, but just liking Studio Ghibli movies does not make you an anime fan. You should definitely go watch the rest of those though. Spirited Away is my favorite.

I've seen Spirited Away. I was just keeping my comment simple.

Also this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:55 am »

When I was home over x-mas every single night my parents were in the living room watching a show where someone was being raped or tortured. Yeesh. When did everything get so damn dark? I can't find anything to watch that isn't a cartoon. I can handle reading really heavy/dark stuff, but watching it on TV and hearing screaming/crying is not my idea of fun.

My best bet is the goofy humor of cartoons on Adult Swim, or Archer (which is violent, sure, but is animated and funny). Maybe I need to catch up on Parks and Recreation and re-watch The Office.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2015, 09:08:33 pm »

I long ago gave up expecting to watch anything on American TV but I can't find anything to read either because I don't want to read about torture, the apocalypse, etc. It's also a big part of why I can't get anything published. This fashion has become ridiculous - now even middle grade books are about people dying and post-apocalyptic civilizations.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:22 pm »

This is a really interesting problem to think about that you guys bring up, actually. Lots of times Spouse and I don't want to watch the murder/torture dramas nor do we have an interest in all the sex-farce sit-com stuff.

Where does this leave us? Watching Judge Judy lay teh beatdownz on the proles, usually.

Educational, yet strangely soothing...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »

This is a really interesting problem to think about that you guys bring up, actually. Lots of times Spouse and I don't want to watch the murder/torture dramas nor do we have an interest in all the sex-farce sit-com stuff.

I suppose this is part of why I like Phineas & Ferb so much.

I have started watching "Louie" again, which is depressing in its own way, but much more relateable. I enjoyed Community but it's no longer on in syndication (though it's supposed to be on Yahoo with a new season soon).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:38 am »

My dirty secret is that Storage Wars

Ok, that's one of ours too.  Who do you know?   Please say it's not Hester.  Barry would be pretty cool.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2015, 04:55:26 pm »

Let's see what's on my DVR as far as murder&mayhem go:

48 hours ✔
Alaska State Troopers ✔
America's First Sport: Lacrosse
Blue Bloods ✔
CSI ✔
Hawaii 5-0 ✔
How It's Made
Jake and the Neverland Pirates
Mythbusters
NCIS ✔
NCIS: LA ✔
NCIS: New Orleans ✔
Octonauts
PAW Patrol ✔
Person of Interest ✔
Phineas and Ferb
Pit Bulls and Parolees
Scandal ✔
The Mentalist ✔
Womens College Basketball: Pac-12 (4) ✔

Other than sports and kiddie shows, science shows (not listed at them moment: Nova, Cosmos) seem to be the only breaks in the People Being Awful To Each Other theme.  Plus a show about dogs and redemption.  There's something uplifting at least.

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »

Anybody else watching Better Call Saul?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2015, 10:04:02 pm »

America's First Sport: Lacrosse

...

Womens College Basketball: Pac-12 (4) ✔

If I was going to check one of those two as "murder and mayhem," that's not the one.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:31 pm »

DVR'd episode three of BCS, watching it tonight.

I find the Breaking Bad/Vince Gilligan internet fandom pretty awful, and I'd hate to see Better Call Saul turn entirely into a fanservice delivery engine for this demographic. I already feel like Mike and Tuco's prominent roles are veering the show into this territory. Let's just hope that not every episode has some kind of in-your-face 'easter egg' casting decision.

I'm also on the fence about the editing style and self-seriousness. It feels too much like Breaking Bad in tone -- I kind of want the writers/cinematographers/whatever to let the show breathe and become its own thing.

All of which is to say I'm not disliking the show so far, and I'm happy they're making it -- I'm just antsy to see which overall direction it  takes as it continues.

Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2015, 06:18:44 am »

If I was going to check one of those two as "murder and mayhem," that's not the one.
I...I have no explanation for the check mark there.  Pac-12 basketball...those girls do go hard, though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2015, 06:18:08 pm »

My dirty secret is that Storage Wars show because of knowings some of the people and all of the areas they cover.


Don't leave me hanging here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2015, 08:30:19 pm »

I found out early and often that getting into a pickup game that involves D1 lady players is straight up putting your balls on the line.
I can't believe that there are people who watch golf on TV and wouldn't think to watch women's basketball.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up