Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 50945 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:17 am »

A (fairly biased) opinion piece I read somewhere basically equated their actions to wasting time and being proud of it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »

Well, yeah. The Senate isn't going to pass it, and if they did, the president would veto it, and they know it. I don't see how it's a biased opinion that they're wasting time that could be spent on really getting something done.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2012, 12:00:28 am »

Probably should go in the Shit my Facebook says thread, but it relates to this topic.

Seen this graphic a bunch lately.


Does it really cost $30 million dollars a day to run Congress? That can't be right.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2012, 01:30:30 am »

174000 avg salary for a congressperson who works 128 days a year breaks down to 1359 per person per day and at 535 members I get 727265 a day for everyone. The remaining 29.5 million would be a fuck ton of overhead, but keeping the staff going and the lights on happen whether or not these guys are on the floor talking at each other. So wherever this number came from, its useless to any kind of argument.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2012, 01:38:34 am »

Well, yeah. The Senate isn't going to pass it, and if they did, the president would veto it, and they know it. I don't see how it's a biased opinion that they're wasting time that could be spent on really getting something done.

I only said biased because I don't really know what the deal is and didn't want to come in spouting something from a crazy partisan blog as fact.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:11 am »

The remaining 29.5 million would be a fuck ton of overhead, but keeping the staff going and the lights on happen whether or not these guys are on the floor talking at each other. So wherever this number came from, its useless to any kind of argument.

Well obviously it's a bullshit argument, that's not even up for debate. My real question is, does it really cost 30 million a day to keep the lights on at the capital?  that seems high even for the Government.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:39 am »

That's why I qualified it with "would be"
I also doubt that number and have no idea where it came from other than some agenda driven crackpot who makes facebook images.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

A FB friend posted this quiz, which appears fairly unbiased, but I wonder.

http://www.isidewith.com/presidential-election-quiz

I got a score of 84% with Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate. That was surprising. I got a score of 81% for Obama, that was not surprising at all. And the candidate I agreed with the least was Ron Paul, just 2 percentage points behind Romney, 37 and 39%, respectively.

I'd be interested to see what others score. I don't think the Green Party is even on the ballot in my state.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:01 pm »

obama 89, which surprises me.
stein 86, which doesn't.

i wish the green party would try to grow a bit more organically, if you'll pardon the pun. they need to win seats as sheriffs and judges and state house reps before they can hope to take the national stage. start that off with a run at congress from vermont or oregon, somewhere they might have a chance at winning. their marketing-based campaigns for president just piss me off.

ron paul 34
romney 13, but that might change with his ... updated position stances?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:23 pm »

I was at 66% with the socialist candidate, also. I was surprised it was that low. But when I looked through the answers where we diverged, though, it looked like there were some places where we seemed to agree, but I chose an answer with more detail and he only chose "yes" or "no."

Also, when it comes to foreign policy, he is much more of a protectionist, whereas I am only a quasi-pacifist.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:33 pm »

Obama 82%
Johnson 81%
Ron Paul 69%
Romney 61%

No really surprised.  Obama benefited in the rankings from my great concern over science and technology issues.  I like this tool.  Johnson is probably going to get my vote in November.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election '12
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »

Should children of illegal immigrants be granted citizenship!?? What does that even mean! It's in the goddamn constitution that if you are born here you are a citizen. COME ON PEOPLE.

Jill Stein (?) 95%
President Obama 90%
Stewart Alexander 79%
Paul 51%
Romney 20% ("no major issues")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2012, 01:45:39 am »

Gary Johnson (whoever the fuck that is) 91%
Ron Paul 82%
Jill stein (again, who is this person and why does she agree with me) 77%
Obama and Mittons come in at 66%.

I'm ambivalent towards Mr.Mittons and the other guy. I have no clue who Jill Stein is and even less of an idea who Gary Johnson is. Uncle Ron is just silly.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2012, 02:32:28 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
Should children of illegal immigrants be granted citizenship!??

You know what? Why not? Let in every one who doesn't seem to be a violent criminal or a terrorist, make 'em all citizens.

At this point, at least if they're citizens, labour laws apply to them and they can't be exploited.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election '12
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2012, 02:34:35 am »

I just really didn't understand that question. Are we talking about children born back in the old country? Children born here? Are we talking about the Dream act?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Up