Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 65098 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »

You lose 10pts when you say Munts where Months is the appropriate word. Also "Nother" as in "That is whole nother issue"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »

I have found myself saying "a whole 'nother," which I find amusing because I would never write that (except in a meta instance such as this).

My pronunciation pet peeve: the word "mittens" has T's in it. TWO of them. They are NOT SILENT, people.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2011, 09:23:18 pm »

Kittens
Shuttle
Little

The vernacular is evolving towards these being pronounced with a glottal (or is that a glo'al) stop instead of a hard t.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:35 pm »

Mi'ens is a Thing in the midwest. I don't say it that way, but I grew up around a lot of people who did.

I confess to saying "nother." But I intend it ironically.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2011, 12:09:34 am »

I don't see anything wrong with "nother."

And glottal stop for t in American English before a syllabic consonant like n (as in kitten) has been normal since basically forever. If that's how we said it when I took my first phonetics class in high school there is no way it can be a recent evolution, unfortunately for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:18 am »

koppenhaver is a common name around here, but everyone says "CUPPenhaver", including me.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2011, 04:25:13 am »

I can't hear the difference between "pin" and "pen".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2011, 04:31:57 am »

can't hear it, or don't say it?

I can't do dawn/don.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2011, 05:06:23 am »

Kittens
Shuttle
Little

The vernacular is evolving towards these being pronounced with a glottal (or is that a glo'al) stop instead of a hard t.

Is the american midwest being invaded by cockney street urchins?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »

I can't hear the difference between "pin" and "pen".

Isn't this because round your parts, they don't say a difference between pin and pen?

I think the dialect I speak has the most different vowels possible in American English. I feel sad for people whose vowel systems are impoverished.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »

I feel sad for people whose vowel systems are impoverished.

scandinavians?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »

Other Americans, I mean.

Also sometimes they are annoying. I once had to stop watching a TV show about dinosaurs because the narrator didn't have the Don/Dawn distinction and every time she said the last vowel in "dinosaur" it drove me crazy.

I don't know whether there's any change going on to have more dialects gain or lose this distinction, but if it is getting lost, this is how I would go off the deep end: putting my foot down that this must stop.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »

Isn't this because round your parts, they don't say a difference between pin and pen?



Right.  Because there isn't one.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »

How would you say "couch"?

The street here is pronounced "cooch".

How would you say "glisan"?

The street here is pronounced "gleason".

I have twenty of these, at least. Street names here are weird.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »

I tease Pedro because he pronounces the "th" in "clothes." He teases me because I say "coupon" as "KYU pon" instead of "COO pon." We're just a mixed-up modern family, I guess.

We have a town nearby called Wendell. It's pronounced with the accent on both syllables: WEN DELL. (Or, sometimes, WAYN DAYLE.) In fact, somebody on my FB feed just posted a link to this piece on our local news web site that details all the weird local pronunciations that are not at all intuitive:

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/blogpost/10331495/
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29   Go Up