Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 24254 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2011, 11:28:07 pm »

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:25 pm »

I love throwaway shit like that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2011, 11:48:07 pm »

You know who else occupied Europe?

Hitler
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:45 am »

also, rome.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 12:29:55 am »

I love throwaway shit like that.
From which perspective are you looking at it? There are a lot of ways to take that cartoon.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 02:25:17 am »

From which perspective are you looking at it? There are a lot of ways to take that cartoon.

I don't know, it seemed to be boiling the whole thing down a bit, to me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:49 am »

you can't carry a bazooka into a school

What. Reasonable restrictions on firearms? Cut a corner off of your NRA card, young man.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

Can someone define what it takes to be part of the 1%?

'Cause I'm pretty sure if it's a simple income calculation I've had years where I qualify and I ain't even running my fuck*ng mouth.
High-five. You can be angry at the way things work or you can exploit it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 02:08:43 pm »

From what I've read, the bottom end of the top 1% makes over $ 380,000 in income in a year. That's not out of reach for a lot of executives in a lot of industries.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34:38 pm »

Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
High-five. You can be angry at the way things work or you can exploit it.

Even that, though, presumes a lot of luck and a lot of preparation for your life that was set in motion by your parents and whatnot.

I don't buy it.

Even if "exploit it" wasn't ethically wrong, I don't buy it. We all presume that who we are comes from the sweat of our backs and it just doesn't.

Even saying "well then, just cheat, asshole" presumes a past position from which cheating is possible.

Things are too fucked for most people to even have a platform from which to cheat unless there was a whole set of dominoes stretching back long before their birth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »

Can someone define what it takes to be part of the 1%?

'Cause I'm pretty sure if it's a simple income calculation I've had years where I qualify and I ain't even running my fuck*ng mouth.

I think it mainly takes viewing people as potential dollar signs, but then again I'm not sure what % I'm in.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

I'm gonna think of this 1% stuff as more 'corporate overlords' than people I work and socialize with because I find it easier to demonize a monolithic entity instead of Yasu or Laurie or Paul.

You must be referring to another Paul.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

You're hella easy to demonize, dude.

I think of Paul more as Ace, but to each his own.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

I don't know if I buy the 'potential dollar signs' thing, Nabu,

I would have thought the bottom of the 1% was higher than 380k, but by that metric I'm in the 99% (maybe not the 97%? I don't know). And when I say potential dollar signs, I meant seeing the other 99% as dollar signs and only dollar signs. I agree with the monkeysphere philosophy, and I feel like 99% is just a handy shorthand, right? Basically, the powers-that-be want the populace quiet and easily swayed, and not occupying the Port of Oakland or whatever.

And when I say that cartoon is sort of throwaway shit, I just mean that pitching it as a 'greatest generation' vs. 'slackers who are taking the easy way out and milling around in front of the local B of A branch' is pretty simplistic. At that, you might as well say B of A is this generation's Mussolini* and that the slackers are doing the Lord's work.

*Not Godwin'd.

Keep in mind that I'm almost certainly wrong about everything I blather about here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up