Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?  (Read 31195 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »

I am now VERY intrigued to see the pictures of the unboxing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

Interestingly, one item I left out of the package was a Kinder Egg.  I was shocked to learn these aren't available in the US, as every kid I know grew up eating them and collecting and building the toys.  I decided against it specifically because I didn't want the gift to be seized at the boarder.  WTF America?  Your kids can't discern between milk chocolate and large plastic container?  You're missing out - the chocolate is delicious and sometimes the toy is incredibly offensive! Oh well, we'll keep our Kinder Eggs and you can keep Celine Dion, okay?  I think that's a fare trade.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »

I am actually in love with Kinder Eggs.

When I went to Europe in high school I fell in love with them and when family goes to Europe (my grandmother is close with some of her cousins in Slovenia and travels there once a year, my mother would use her friendship with our old German exchange student to see the continent once every two or three years) my only request is to bring some back for me. Also, when I lived in Los Angeles, you could find Kinder Eggs occasionally in shady grocery stores that sold lots of possibly-not-legal candies from Mexico.

I eat the candies and collect the little toys and if they need to be built, my girlfriend loves building little kits.

I also love ketchup chips! While they are very rare in America, you can occasionally find them in the resort areas of  New England and Long Island (maybe there's other places, that's the only place I've found them) and I tried them years ago at my girlfriend's father's summer place on Long Island Sound and... have always associated them with her dad and that little cabin.

I will talk more extensively when I can figure out how to pull the little men out of Adrian's phone and make them put their paintings into my computer.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

Oh, ketchup chips. Makes me nostalgic for Canada and at the same time reminds me that not everything is better there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:57 pm »

That discussion on the toy post is a train wreck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »

Yeah, being aboriginal I mostly don't even bother reading the comments on any articles about people of my ancestry.  Like I posted elsewhere, because the first baby of the new year in my province was aboriginal, a cute, simple news story about the first baby of the year was followed by some of the most hateful comments out there.  It's an especially challenging thing for me being of the cultural group the highest amount of racism is directed toward, but looking passably non-aboriginal.  As one racist person once put it when I pointed out that I am aboriginal after he had said something racist "oh, yeah, you look like you have a little "something" in you, but I wasn't sure what."  His intonation read as "I figured you were polluted with something." Retch. 

It's enough to drive me into a spiral of rage and depression if I let it, but I just prefer to put my effort into building a community of good people in the world and leaving the judgement and wasted energy to the douches who spew it.  There are small dark corners everywhere in the world and wide open spaces full of the good stuff.  Which is why I enjoy coming here with you good people.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:19 am »

In that deal the actual dude from the article made a nice long well-reasoned post and he got hammered. I thought people in Canada weren't awful?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:07 am »

So....
I come down from my placement to check up on my Dad's place this weekend when I discover a mysterious package waiting for me.

Of course where I come from we know how to deal with this sort of thing.

Almost defeated by layer after layer of acid-fuelled wrapping I persevere to discover...

A collection of totally sweet old comic books, including a reprint of X-Men number 1.

Just awesome work Paul, thanks so much. Apart from anything else it turned an evening where I was basically sitting around my Dad's house in the burbs with nothing to do into a night of Action, Mystery, Adventure!

Till next Christmas True Believers!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »

So....
I come down from my placement to check up on my Dad's place this weekend when I discover a mysterious package waiting for me.

Of course where I come from we know how to deal with this sort of thing.

Almost defeated by layer after layer of acid-fuelled wrapping I persevere to discover...

A collection of totally sweet old comic books, including a reprint of X-Men number 1.

Just awesome work Paul, thanks so much. Apart from anything else it turned an evening where I was basically sitting around my Dad's house in the burbs with nothing to do into a night of Action, Mystery, Adventure!

Till next Christmas True Believers!


you lucky jerk!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »

That is extremely cool wrapping paper.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »

Another winning performance from Paul - dude knows how to deliver.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:38 pm »

I was gonna throw some old Archie Comics in there too, but I couldn't find the box they are in.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »

My package arrived while I was on my cruise and my mail was being held. I had a chance to look at it briefly before going off to my hernia surgery so no time for pictures (I'm recovering at my girlfriend's house). By I got a boomerang with Great Moments in Achewood on it (including the super friends) and a book.

Now I feel extra terrible that I can't even figure out what to buy my person. I was hoping to find something fun in the Caribbean but it was all cheap "we be jammin'" crap down there.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:21 am »

You haven't even purchased your gift yet? You fuck!

Was that too much? I can never tell.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:29 am »

Just lad it got there, was starting to have concerns.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up