Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Merry CHRISTmas!  (Read 17795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 08:37:30 am »

This might be one of those cultural things, ain't no one assumes you go to church around here and Christmas is a fairly secular sort of thing, so maybe that's why it doesn't strike me as much. But then I'm a white male who came up Catholic so I guess if I'm wrong I wouldn't be bothered anyway?

I say happy Holidays or merry Christmas or happy Agnostica or whatever the hell I feel like saying that day because I'm wishing the person I'm saying it to a good time during a time of year that lots of people are celebrating stuff. I think the wish that people enjoy themselves is the important thing is what I'm trying to get at here. If when you say happy holidays you're more concerned with getting across a point about inclusiveness than just wishing someone well I think you may as well not say anything at all or you may as well be up front and say 'remember there are other cultural holidays this time of year' just like the christian dude emphasising the 'CHRISTmas' should say 'your holiday doesn't count as much as mine because mine is the one true solstice festival'.

I just want to wish people well without it being a Thing is all and I hate people finding something to fight about during a time of year when we're all meant to get together and be happy the winter hasn't killed us yet.

The fact that you say happy holidays to make sure as many people will appreciate it as possible puts you firmly in the not-a-dick camp, but we already knew that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:29 am »

I say Merry Christmas because that is what I am celebrating and I wish to extend my holiday cheer to you. 

So anyway, I'm out at a thing tonight, it's our annual reenactment of the bombing of Pearl Harbor dressed as Santa, and one of my friends was saying that she says Merry Christmas when she puts on the Santa suit.  It puts her in a Christmas mood.  I know she's not a Christian.  Her and her boyfriend, he's the dude with the Jesus Christ Monkey Car, have a solstice party every year.  They're pagans or whatever. 

So later on someone said they were repping for Jesus and somebody else said they were repping for the Jews and I said I was repping for the Atheist... Hail Satan.  They told me that if I was an atheist I didn't believe in the devil either.  Crap!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 09:30:37 am »

Oh yeah, and we had a Krampus and somebody celebrating Hogswatch.  Holidays for all!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »

I try to avoid anger, especially in response to (almost always innocuous) greetings from random strangers.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »

When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I say "maaaaaaaaan, FUCK you" really loud, right in their face.

My mom, in particular, took exception to this.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »

Merry can-mas Mayor. Or happy Hannucan, whichever you prefer.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 04:39:30 am »

you forgot Can-za
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »

So is this basically all about white guilt?  Being brownish, I tend to be on the receiving end of the uncertainly/tension in these circumstances, while even though I'm an atheist (and sometimes aboriginal spiritual) person, I celebrate Christmas as a secular thing and really love it.  I really have a lot of trouble thinking there is anything but a small minority of non-Christians who give two shakes about people wishing each other well.  I really believe that the majority of people don't want each other to feel like shit, so it's time to sort of walk away from the guilt about this and give out more fuckin' Candy Canes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 04:31:09 pm »

nope, not really about white guilt. Mostly about having a ton of jewish friends who say that it kind of bums them out when every person says "Merry Christmas" to them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »

If you get the day off from work on Christmas I think you should be merry about it no matter your religion. I mean, you don't worship George Washington either but it's nice to get his birthday off, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 07:46:59 pm »

Honestly, I don't think that parsing out the Merry/Happy split is a gut reaction for anyone.

I think that we let ourselves get played into it by people playing identity politics and... busting it out when they want to divide us if it profits them.

On all sides. This is not one of those things where it is just the religious or the Christian right are absurd about it, though they're certainly the vast majority.

There's people all over the spectrum being herded into this one for the benefit of one identity-politician or another.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »

LFM, you are stupid if you think that. How is it not the case that when someone says "merry Christmas" to my roommate, he notes that he does not celebrate christmas?? Do you think he would forget if it weren't for some grumpy jerks who invented identity politics?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »

No, I mean, I get the idea of some negative reaction.

I'm just...

Hm, it's hard to explain. I'm just saying that people wouldn't be so fuck*ng frothed up about this shit, on all sides, if they weren't getting manipulated into it. They'd be mildly weirded out and then move on quickly.

It's like when someone with a smile says "How are you?" I reserve the right to not being false about it.

I reserve the right to say "Ah, I am not having the best day, really, but I appreciate the exchanged pleasantry. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying things."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »

Hm, it's hard to explain. I'm just saying that people wouldn't be so fuck*ng frothed up about this shit, on all sides, if they weren't getting manipulated into it.

You might find this of interest.
http://atheistoasis.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/an-open-letter-to-christians-merry-christmas-from-an-atheist/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:20:00 am by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:14 am »

I like that article.

True story: a guy yelled at my coworker for saying "happy holidays." She was wearing a santa hat, standing under a row of green and red christmas lights. There is big santa statue next to the service desk, and A GIANT CRUCIFIX over the service desk.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up