I look forward someday to the prequel that explains the pineapple's backstory.
The other stuff - I think it's a shame you didn't flesh out your idea of the baseball player thing, it would have been funny. The thing is, I think it's exactly right to write stuff starting with basically the private jokes in your head. But the point is to share them! So you have to spell it out more so other people get it.
I thought that playing fast and loose with it would create a frenetic style that matched at least Johnny's character
I think the lettering style does that, actually, without getting in the way of clarity. You don't need to overdo it. And you could still place the word bubbles more creatively in panels that don't have so many words.
I hope it is clear from my comments that they're meant to say that you have got the hard stuff right. You have ideas, and an art style, and a writing style. The other stuff is just mechanics, and that, you can learn to be better at, with practice and getting more feedback. And there must be books - as well as Inev's suggestion, there are actually college programs in this stuff now. Surely they have textbooks. Which, being textbooks, might be 75% idiotic, but there is surely stuff you could take from them while throwing away the rest.
OK, now this was about to turn into a long post about the lessons I have collected on how to deal with people's feedback on your creative work but it occurs to me that this is just a way of avoiding actually doing work right now. Maybe some other time.