Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: That awkward moment when...  (Read 10760 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »

I get those all the time. I ignore them. If I'm in a bad mood I block them.

I've got enough friends, thanks,
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »

I get those all the time and I accept them. I don't treat Facebook any differently from a public blog, I don't post anything I wouldn't want everyone to see. Which doesn't mean I don't sometimes exercise questionable judgement about that, but I'd do the same on a blog. Friends of friends are fine, people who have seen my pug photos in groups are fine. It's the Internet, I come here to meet people who share my interests. What creeps me out is the ones that are from REALLY total strangers and I can't figure out what the connection is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »

Hey wombat, do you see my December 5th post and your response?  Do you get now why that is hella not possible? (Yes I am telling you I made a baby in Japan!  Best souvenir ever, but no, you can not have her/him.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 02:42:01 pm »

I get those all the time. I ignore them. If I'm in a bad mood I block them.

I've got enough friends, thanks,

See, I almost ignored someone once for that reason, but then I thought, "why not accept them, then unfriend later if they turn out to be useless" and that person turned out to be the assistant of the publisher who is publishing my play, trying to reach me to make me an offer.  So now I always have that worry that someone is trying to reach me to offer me money for work I've basically already done.  So I friended them both.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »

Right - except that is totally weird - a publisher couldn't think of any other way to reach you than Facebook?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »

Right - except that is totally weird - a publisher couldn't think of any other way to reach you than Facebook?

Facebook is a totally valid way to reach someone, but you don't have to friend someone to send them a message.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 05:27:21 pm »

Yeah, and my phone number and contact info are on the script's first page, which I emailed to them.  So they had my phone number and email, but this was their way.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »

Facebook is a totally valid way to reach someone, but you don't have to friend someone to send them a message.

But if they are not a friend you don't get a message notification, you have to actually check your inbox. I have missed several important things that way. It is not a good way to contact people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »

You know what I like on Facebook, is "Facebook triangulation," when two of your friends turn out to know each other through an entirely different channel than you know either of them. Like, a guy I used to work with, and a guy I know from the old Utne Reader online community, turned out to have gone to high school together.

There's also the "facebook square," in which you check out someone from a friend's comment thread, and discover they know TWO of your friends, that person and one other, but apparently don't know you.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:57 am »

But if they are not a friend you don't get a message notification, you have to actually check your inbox. I have missed several important things that way.

That I did not know.

However, I have been contacted by strangers before and don't remember not being notified, but I can't remember for certain how it was exactly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 03:18:20 am »

You can send a message along with a friend request, that is the best way to do it, since you do get notified of friend requests.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:44 am »

  Best souvenir ever

The best line. EVER. You're telling the kid this, right?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »

Congratu-kid-u-lations!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 01:19:05 am »

Now I'm wondering if the friend who was avoiding you was your period...I can't say I've ever heard a woman refer to it as her BFF though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: That awkward moment when...
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 03:10:04 am »

No, she is my actual BFF.  I would have basically told her the day I found out, but I wanted to do it in person.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up