Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 239778 times)

0 Members and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2013, 06:37:55 pm »

Sick of carpet burns?

Ooooh, sick burn, dude.

Actually our bedroom is too small to get crazy on the floor. We use the family room for that.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #466 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:18 pm »

You just tell visitors the anchor points and cleats are for hanging plants, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:03 pm »

Went up to a lake for a day with some new friends. Drank beer, cooked ribs, drank coffee, etc. nobody ever tried to start an argument about politics or talk about anything important. Slept on the couch, cooked breakfast, drove back and went to work. Excellent weekend. They just sent me an email saying they tried to figure out what my "share" of renting the place is, considering I only came for one night and slept on the couch, and decided it wasn't worth it to do the math. "Thanks for coming man, you can bring the beer or something next time."

Sometimes people are just nice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #468 on: November 18, 2013, 01:54:54 am »

I'm sorry I'm kinda scarce around here right now. 'm not hiding out or anything this time! I've been working like a motherfucker on this Sasquatch novel that you guys are obliquely referred to a coupla times in, I guess if you follow me on the facespace you know that though.

Nanowrimo is a weird time sink but I don't have a job and I don't have a lady so my life the last three weeks has been writing "Frank Yetty", trying to lose more weight, helping my dad recover from pneumonia and playing fuckin' Binding of Isaac on Steam.

I'm just starting to get into chapter 10 and I'm over 28,000 words in, I dunno. I think it's gonna be 16 chapters and somewhere between 50,000 to 60,000 words, I dunno, it'll be a short novel even if it's good. I really like parts of it, I'll say that. A lot of weird ideas and developed characters but not tightly plotted, sorta like "Cat's Cradle" and "Magnolia" having a baby, I dunno. I like saddling myself with unattainable milemarkers for some reason. Anyway.

So yeah. When I have a rough draft done, I might bug a couple of you for notes. I look especially at you Queen of the Pugriders.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #469 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:02 am »

So yeah. When I have a rough draft done, I might bug a couple of you for notes. I look especially at you Queen of the Pugriders.

I would be happy to do this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:22 am »

ALSO: fuck yeahs, I put in 20 hours on the new house and am one weekend away from floors and kitchen newness.


Yeah, I'd say I put in about 20 hours since Friday on the bathroom project.  Finished wiring, built in shelves, hung most of the tile backer board.  I've got a Thanksgiving deadline!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #471 on: November 18, 2013, 04:39:35 am »

I have this fantasy of building a house. You know, not a real house, something tiny with one room, lofted bed, a single burner in the corner. Cinderblocks and shingles and junk. Then I read something like "I put 20 hours in this weekend" and I think, maybe I can just keep renting forever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #472 on: November 18, 2013, 04:54:38 am »

yeah, I can see that. I definitely enjoy figuring out household things like that. But in the same way I enjoy reading about economics-- it is so alien to the way my brain works that I am fascinated yet completely stumped. The good thing is, with a leaky faucet you at least know when you got it right.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #473 on: November 18, 2013, 06:01:35 pm »

yeah, I can see that. I definitely enjoy figuring out household things like that. But in the same way I enjoy reading about economics-- it is so alien to the way my brain works that I am fascinated yet completely stumped. The good thing is, with a leaky faucet you at least know when you got it right.
Reading economics textbooks became a hobby of mine before I hit the double digit ages. It has always felt like I was reading stuff I already knew, but with newly applied vocabulary. You're an antrho guy who assumes the greater good in people. I'm an econ guy who assumes that people will always act in their own self interest. Unfortunately, my world-view is called realism and your world-view is called idealism.

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2013, 06:14:51 pm »

You're an antrho guy who assumes the greater good in people. I'm an econ guy who assumes that people will always act in their own self interest. Unfortunately, my world-view is called realism and your world-view is called idealism.



That's such a false dichotomy.  Everybody is both a realist and an idealist at times.  Everyone acts in their own self-interest in certain situations, and everyone sacrifices for the greater good in others.  The trick is knowing when and why to do which.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2013, 06:30:04 pm »

That's such a false dichotomy.  Everybody is both a realist and an idealist at times.  Everyone acts in their own self-interest in certain situations, and everyone sacrifices for the greater good in others.  The trick is knowing when and why to do which.
I don't know what your father did, but my father spent his life engineering bigger, better, more lethal bombs for the navy. 'Everyone sacrifices for the greater good in others' is simply not true. When broken down to their most basic instincts, people will act in their own self-interest. Education just complicates these impulses.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #476 on: November 18, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

I think your devotion to thinking yourself a realist is in itself a form of idealism.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:09 pm »

I think your devotion to thinking yourself a realist is in itself a form of idealism.
Two guys are stranded on an island. One guy says "Boost me up so I can get us some coconuts." The other guy says "I've got all the food I need right here."
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »

Quote
Reading economics textbooks became a hobby of mine before I hit the double digit ages. It has always felt like I was reading stuff I already knew, but with newly applied vocabulary. You're an antrho guy who assumes the greater good in people. I'm an econ guy who assumes that people will always act in their own self interest. Unfortunately, my world-view is called realism and your world-view is called idealism.

No, I don't assume the greater good in people. I assume that people act the way they do largely because of the culture they inhabit. Including economists.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #479 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:09 am »

When broken down to their most basic instincts, people will act in their own self-interest.

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 94   Go Up