I do the same on the morning shuttle bus (fill from the back), but at least it's not a van. In the evening my strategy is different, on account of the Flintstones era ticket punching validation rigamarole the train requires. Since the validation machines break down weekly, you have to assume that fewer than 4 machines will be available for the 600 or so train passengers. The "fare enforcement officers" aren't sympathetic to woeful stories about the long line you had to skip in order to make the train (there are 3 trains, on the hour starting at 3pm, after which you are hosed and have to walk* home). Since I'm the first stop on the evening shuttle route, I take advantage of the primo seating selections to get the one right behind the driver, which guarantees an earlier spot in the validation queue since I can shoot out as soon as the door opens. I do, however, take the window seat so noone needs to drag their ass over me to sit with me in that row. I think that keeps everyone happier. The only drawback is when the driver decides to share her family crises with her captive audience.