Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90480 times)

0 Members and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:33 pm »

Someone famous--Roger Ebert, maybe?--said something to the effect of, "I have no memory of the time before I was born. I suspect death will be similar."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:10 am »

The art exhibit I went to see in Princeton today had a ton of photos from this collection, paid for by the EPA to represent the state of the country in the early 70s. Some great ones in there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

I had a dream that after I posted that, Paul responded pointing out that he took a ton of the pictures in that collection. When I woke up I had to double-check to make sure it was a dream. (And yes, even in the dream I knew you are too young to have been a professional photographer back then).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »

One of my FB friends works at Bath & Body Works.

She will often refer to it in her posts as BBW. "Hey BBW fans!"

Hee hee ha ha ha ha.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2015, 10:29:36 pm »

Suddenly realizing that all of my judgments of how insane my roommate are were coming from a dude (me) who slept until almost noon every day while she works 2 jobs and also goes to school. Going to try to judge her as a person a little less. Definitely still judging her actions, though. Her actions are stupid as hell.

(I don't know how many hours she actually works at those jobs, but usually she was getting home from 1 job and about to leave for the next while I was sitting in my pajama ##### eating breakfast)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2015, 01:28:12 am »

It would be interesting to be on the messageboard where she told her side of that story.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2015, 12:04:34 pm »

Well I have heard her sides of stories, and it is a lot of everyone else being a "stupid bitch" and her yelling at people who deserve it.

But what am I saying, she's a figment of your figment, get her to join the board.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2015, 08:54:24 pm »

Well you know,  that she is a crazy person and that she works really hard are not mutually exclusive possiblities.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2015, 02:07:51 am »

Oh, absolutely.

Today my boss at my internship saw me looking at this really frustrating NYC government website that lets you look up active building permits, and he said "oh, I should introduce you to this guy I met, he made some kind of computer program to take the data on this website and show it on an online map." Which is exactly what I was thinking I should make! Well, I know by the end of the programming textbook I'm working through I will know how to scrape the data off the page, but how to put that into a form GIS can read and then put that online is a mystery. Maybe that's the next book.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:52:09 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2015, 04:29:46 pm »

For any Mac users, this program is making my window management dreams come true. After using Windows 7 at school I was really envious of the ability to make a window take up exactly half the screen with the click of a button. So I downloaded this thing and now I can just hit cmd-option-left and cmd-option-right and get two windows side by side, or up and down, or whatever. Perfect for a task I do constantly-- looking at something in one window (a scan of something, a pdf, instruction on how to do something) and typing/interacting in another. Today I am doing a python web apps tutorial with the terminal on the bottom half of the screen and the instructions on top and it is PERFECT.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2015, 06:19:45 pm »

Yeah, at school I use the Windows 7 function that does this plus dual monitors, but at home I only have my pathetic 17 inch laptop screen. Ditto at work, where I have to bring my laptop if I don't want to share a desktop with 4 other people.

(Note that students at state school have better computer resources than state employees who do that thing professionally)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2015, 08:02:52 am »

I had a dream that after I posted that, Paul responded pointing out that he took a ton of the pictures in that collection. When I woke up I had to double-check to make sure it was a dream. (And yes, even in the dream I knew you are too young to have been a professional photographer back then).

Ha ha, yes, I was quite young in the early 70s. I do however have a very acute sense of what that time looked like. I'm not very good at articulating it, but I know it when I see it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2015, 11:18:18 pm »

Found this cool website that posts programming challenges, and once you complete the challenge it shows you everyone else's solutions. It's amazing spending half an hour working on a stupid puzzle and then seeing people who solved it in a single line or in a really clever way. Also good to scroll to the bottom and see the other people who did it in super convoluted ways, like me.

(Weirdest are the people who solve things in a way that is very knowledgable but not very clever. For "make a program that tells you whether any given number is prime," the top solution is a guy who made a 1 liner that checks if the number is divisible by any smaller number greater than 1. Further down is a guy with like 20 lines of math using functions I have never heard of... maybe it's a way so that with really huge numbers you don't have to test every single number to know the answer?)

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:23 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »

Something has changed on Google Drive (formerly Docs) and now I can't get it to do any of the things I want. First it kept making copies of my files in our shared folder at work, now the "manage versions" option is mysteriously missing on the one file I want to modify. When I delete the accidental copies it only deletes them for me, since it's a shared folder, so I think everyone else is seeing those 5 copies of "in progress school district data" that I somehow made.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32   Go Up