Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90376 times)

0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:41 am »

This kinda reminded me of Paul: https://vimeo.com/153238734

What with the Houston connection and images of the Mexican or Tex-Mex or whatever you call it food.

No idea if you're a ZZ Top fan though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:44 pm »

No idea if you're a ZZ Top fan though.

Are you asking me if I'm a ZZ Top fan? To use my best Houston parlance Fuckin' A Straight I love ZZ Top! Also, that video is bad ass. I have wanted to eat that meal for the better part of my life.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:00 am »

Every night when I set the timer on the alarm app on my phone, it gives me a little quiz-- did I drink lots of coffee today, eat right before bed, was I stressed, etc.

This moment is my moment of thankfulness for the night. Because I think about what qualified as a "stressful day" when I worked at the grocery store and felt like my life was going nowhere. And I never, ever click "stressful day" once I have thought about that for a split second.

Once I start this second job maybe I will be actually stressed and overwhelmed for a few months, but the grocery store job feeling was... a whole other thing.

(This app, SleepCycle, is great-- you put the phone next to you in bed, and tell it when you want to wake up. If you roll over or move around or otherwise jiggle the phone within 30 minutes of your wakeup time, it starts ringing to tell you "OK bud, you're awake now, better just go ahead and get out of bed.")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2016, 02:23:11 am »

My sister tweeted this recently:

Quote
I don't need a sugar daddy... a grilled-cheese parent would be great though
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »

FUCK YEAH

Cherlene/Cheryl/Carol screams this out of my phone with every email or text I receive and I don't think it will ever stop being funny to me and annoying to everyone around me.

This will be my new litmus test for strangers.

Tunt-tastic!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »

It's interesting how being exposed to something, and then forgetting it for a while, and then returning to it seems to be the things that makes you love it. I drank espresso every day for 2 years at my coffee job and while I was learning to appreciate it, it was more of an intellectual appreciation than a "wow this is delicious" thing. Since I moved out to Jersey I have pretty much exclusively drank coffee from a crappy coffee machine at home, and then last week I went to a fancy place in the city and drank a real espresso with a tiny amount of milk. Holy crap! So good.

(on the other hand, seeing how busy the coffee shop was and how stressed the employees seemed made me glad that I worked in a shop in downtown St Louis, and not on Wall Street.)

The same thing happens with music. I listened to the Tame Impala album when it came out, wasn't super into it but listened through a few times. Then at the end of 2015 I listened to it again and realized I really really liked it, and I haven't stopped listening since.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2016, 06:59:20 am »

The same thing happens with music. I listened to the Tame Impala album when it came out, wasn't super into it but listened through a few times. Then at the end of 2015 I listened to it again and realized I really really liked it, and I haven't stopped listening since.

On a similar note I'm realizing that I really dig Gorillaz.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #307 on: February 19, 2016, 04:19:52 am »

Word.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:49 pm »

Well done.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »

Good show Ash.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2016, 01:52:56 am »

My boss marked that something I had written "obviously can't be right." It is right, I triple checked it, and all I can think of is that she forgets how long ago 1990 is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2016, 04:03:00 am »

Christ, for most of your life the most likely scenario is you get yourself killed either by accident or on purpose.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2016, 02:45:06 am »

Christ, for most of your life the most likely scenario is you get yourself killed either by accident or on purpose.

I think I've definitely beat the odds because I've had more than a few narrow escapes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

I like how homicide drops abruptly off the list in the 45+ range.  Too wise to take easy offense now, maybe?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:16 pm »

I like how homicide drops abruptly off the list in the 45+ range.  Too wise to take easy offense now, maybe?

There might be something to that. I'm still in my 30s, but each year I find it harder to get offended. I don't know how people live that way. Christ, I don't know how I lived that way.

10 years ago I would have been up in arms about this election. Now I'm just like, well, whatever happens hopefully no one fucks anything up too badly.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Up