It was not a test, those people just don't have their shit together.
1. I had to call 3 different offices before someone answered the phone to tell me where their NYC location is.
2. I got to the building and there was a security guard who wouldn't let me go upstairs. He was not familiar with the organization or the woman I was supposed to meet (their NYC office is very small).
3. The woman I was supposed to meet wasn't there. So I met with some very nice junior guys, who asked if I was sure I'm not interested in a full-time position. I joked that I could drop out now if they'd hire me with half a master's degree.
The interview went well, apart from all that. The job sounds much more like being a receptionist/administrator than I would prefer, but it's paid and I am running low on options. I also finally got a response from my backup plan, an unpaid job with the city, saying that the position has been filled but they are forwarding my resume to other sections of the department.
The fancy shirt store was the best place I have ever shopped. It is this company that makes
really great simple traditional men's shirts and the office was staffed by pretty Japanese women. They measured me and brought a stack of shirts in my size, gave suggestions about what looked good, etc. Maybe I got better customer service than I am used to because I walked in in a suit.