Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161945 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:16 pm »

Eugh. After all our travails with replacing my outgoing roommate, we found a person for next year, and another person to sub-let for the remainder of this lease (mid-May through august). Our landlord said he didn't want a subletter for more than 2 months. We talked it through and decided we would fudge the dates the guy was moving in and out a little, and who cares-- the landlord lives out-of-state and none of us have ever even met him. Just random maintenance guys who he sends sometimes. So tomorrow the subletter is moving in. Guess who just called saying he's in town and wants to meet us at the apartment to talk about signing the lease for next year?

Today I'm sweatin' to the oldies and cleaning out my bedroom. Since the other roommate moved out I moved everything except the bed/dresser/desk into the other bedroom and have been dusting and vacuuming. Turns out I have way too many shoes, sweaters, and CDs. What the heck do I do with this box of CDs? I only use them on long drives, but can't quite bring myself to throw them out. I tried to sell a bunch before I left St Louis, and the guy wouldn't take them because they're all slightly scratched/worn from being in a big CD binder for years and years.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:10 pm »

Burn them over to a storage format and sell those things.

When I first read this sentence I saw "Burn them over to a strange format..." and I wondered what the point of that would be.  Also, what qualifies as a strange format? "Uh, this is a rare Bolivian Mp3 compression scheme that Pat Reynolds turned me onto."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:46:39 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2015, 02:43:40 pm »

Obviously Pono.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2015, 02:47:25 pm »

Obviously Pono.

Neal Young is offended by your shenanigans.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33:38 am »

I guess it would be ridiculous to suggest that maybe you should go to a doctor?

Nah, let it fester. Maybe it'll turn into gangrene. That'll make for some fun pictures.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 05:42:01 pm »

Got offered an unpaid internship. It is only 2-3 days a week, so my next step is trying to find a part-time paid job. My friend works at this office and likes it, and other people I talked to said it is a really good opportunity to make connections and learn stuff. It would be working for the office that looks into proposed land use/zoning changes in Manhattan-- they talk to neighborhood representatives, research outcomes, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:36 pm »

Bagel shop!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:26 am »

Went to a memorial day cookout a classmate threw and everyone there was married, some with kids, and the main topic of conversation was buying houses in suburban New Jersey. Not what I expected from urban planning school. Definitely made me feel "27 years young" though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

Nothing wrong with either side of that experience but I gotta say, the more years I get behind me the more I think you're better served by holding off putting on the harness of obligation a little bit and making some of your own hay.

As a happily married fellow who got married at 22, I heartily concur.

On the other hand, I had my children early so I'm still young enough to enjoy my empty nest.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:24 pm »

Unless I screw up and, y'know, piss off a hoss over a haircut so he crushes my skull:



Or a tragic tool and equipment accident gets me:



But that's what AD&D insurance is for, right?

You can't be expected to live in a bubble!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »

Yeah, I really tried to hit the middle on that. If I can keep my shit from falling off I ought to hit sixty, have no kid-raising obligations and be ready to pull the cord on the retirement parachute. Hopefully that leaves me some years still in the tank for further tomfoolery and/or shenanigans.

Yup. Married at 22, and my baby girl will be 18 four weeks before I turn 47. Even if they stay at home through college, my nest will be empty long before I get my AARP card.

Still, two and a half decades is a long-ass time to wait for the freedom to sleep in on Saturdays and putter around in the garden on Sunday afternoons.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2015, 04:57:16 pm »

On hold with an NC hospital system because I went to urgent care when I was home (persistent sore throat that my mom said might be some kind of infection). They told me there was nothing to do, drink lots of liquids, etc. Then they sent my parents a bill for $400. So I called, went through a whole frustrating process to give them my insurance info for the second time. 5 months later, they have sent me a bill for $400.

Every interaction I have had with the insurance system has made me want to throw a brick through a window. Sassy on the phone because I don't know which number on my insurance card is my ID number-- the card has "SR Number" and "Policy Number." Jeez louise.

Nothing will top when I had insurance through my union and they couldn't tell me what my coverage was. They directed me to a brochure that explained how much coverage I had based on when I started working and how many hours a week I worked. The question is, if they can't even tell ME what I'm paying for... how do they know what claims to pay for?

I still get mail telling me about my benefits through that union, which I have not paid dues to since last July. Come on guys. The mail is addressed to the apartment I lived in in 2013, because they never updated my address any of the times I told them to.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:55 am »

Man, when I had insurance it was so so so much like that.  On the phone with 2 different entities for over an hour to give them my right address, still never got a bill, etc. in mail.  Got a $3 dollar credit for some unknown reason at some point but then could not pay my bill over the phone because it only worked if the bill was exactly 107.56 or something.  Didn't pay my last bill for like 6 months because of this last thing.  Just sent the check in last week.  First time I have ever paid a bill by check.

It's the only time I've ever been like fuck the democrats.  If you are going to "force" somebody to do something you should probably have a decent system.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2015, 02:24:22 pm »

On hold with an NC hospital system because I went to urgent care when I was home (persistent sore throat that my mom said might be some kind of infection). They told me there was nothing to do, drink lots of liquids, etc. Then they sent my parents a bill for $400. So I called, went through a whole frustrating process to give them my insurance info for the second time. 5 months later, they have sent me a bill for $400.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about health insurance lately (my company is rolling out new insurance, in the guise of "consumer choice," but really it means "either pay more, or take a cheaper plan that incentivizes you to not go to the doctor"). Verify if your coverage involves a deductible; if so maybe you really do have to pay $400.

Yeah, I really tried to hit the middle on that. If I can keep my shit from falling off I ought to hit sixty, have no kid-raising obligations and be ready to pull the cord on the retirement parachute. Hopefully that leaves me some years still in the tank for further tomfoolery and/or shenanigans.

I so look forward to spending my children's inheritance.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »

Quote
Verify if your coverage involves a deductible; if so maybe you really do have to pay $400.

That is my fear, but the bill they sent me said "uninsured" and under insurance provider it was blank.

Also, I am not sure why it costs $400 to tell someone to go home and rest and drink water.

Well, I faxed them a copy of my insurance card, so now I can at least feel fine about it until they send me another bill in 3 months.

Going to St Louis friday for my friend's wedding. A girl I posted a lot of sad things about being in love with 8 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:00:33 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71   Go Up