It was way too hot, I got sunburnt and incredibly dehydrated. We were in a really residential area and there was nowhere to sit, refill our water bottles, or use the bathroom. Not a gentle introduction to fieldwork.
Yesterday I met the GF's parents. They were very nice, and I now know she is a precise copy of her mother.
It always makes me feel a little embarrassed when I meet a woman I'm dating's dad, and he is neurotic and never stops talking. Uh, I see where you learned to deal with me, sweetheart. (I think I have gotten better about this, but she is very sweet about it when I get carried away)
Yesterday I was walking through a really nice part of Brooklyn and I could not get over how many people my age I saw. How do they all afford to live there!? I thought for a minute, OH, they must all live in 1-bedroom apartments with their sweeties. Maybe if GF and I want to move in together in a year we can live somewhere cute. I looked into this, and it turns out, no we could not. One-bedrooms in "cute" parts of Brooklyn cost almost as much as two-bedrooms, because the demand for one bedrooms is very high. We could not afford to live even one block closer to the subway station.
The confusing part is that on both sites I looked at, there were one-bedroom apartments in MANHATTAN that we could afford. Just not in cute "Brownstone" Brooklyn neighborhoods. I guess this is because those neighborhoods don't have enough apartment buildings, only brownstones? The supply of one-bedroom units is low.
There are a lot of things about the housing patterns of (mostly white/yuppie-hipster axis) millennials in NYC that only make sense if everyone is getting help from their parents. Like, most of GF's journalism school classmates live in neighborhoods I can't afford? The other factor is probably that even though I feel like I make "a lot of money" I am probably surrounded by people who make even more.
I had an idea for a really good data-mapping project that might give me some insight into this. It is really interesting to me that so much of what is going on in certain neighborhoods of Brooklyn and maybe inner Queens is driven by a demographic that is so hard to pick out in Census data.