Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking for One.  (Read 22053 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2004, 02:29:13 am »

We had a bitterly shamefully enjoyable dinner of AlohaDawg's Spambalaya tonight, with a side of canned candied yams and a 4.99 bottle of wine.  It was terribly romantic, like reliving our poverty-stricken youth together in a garret, with the snow howling outside and all that.

If I made it again, I would try the non-Lite Spam in it, if I could avoid reading the label.  After all you only live once.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2004, 04:49:43 am »

Tonight I light a candle and thank Divinity that you survived to tell the tale. I also give thanks that my original idea, to just invent some culinary use for SPAM was overcome by merely finding something. Terribly Hawaiian, you guys are being.

 Just get over here already, we'll get you the real experience. Hell, I'll even figure out how you can stay in our place for free. Anything to convince you that we have better food around than Spam and Rice and seaweed. But you gotta bring the dog and one cool game 4-6 adults can play.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Cooking for One.
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2004, 06:34:40 am »

AlohaDog,

I'm going to be in L.A. in three weeks.  Since you're in Hawaii, maybe we could meet each other half-way and hang out.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2004, 02:38:29 pm »

I'm gonna be in LA in one week.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Cooking for One.
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2004, 03:47:13 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm gonna be in LA in one week.


Hey, August, if you don't know the Final Jeopardy question, will you write "Who is Jough?" in there?

I'll pay you off after it airs.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2004, 04:09:31 pm »

I am so jealous of everyone who will be in LA while I am sliding around on the ice here.

Someday I will take you up on that invite, Aloha, but a warning - if it's really the dog you want to meet, she doesn't fly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2004, 04:51:18 pm »

You got it, cuz.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2004, 08:47:28 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I am so jealous of everyone who will be in LA while I am sliding around on the ice here.


Me too.  Oh, wait....
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2004, 10:19:57 pm »

Sounds Great, Jough. Halfway for me is 1275 1/2 miles out in the Pacific. Swim S/SW and I'll meet you there. Or, just come the whole way. Free room and shared board (which I can't offer in LA).




PS Invitations to visit HI are open to everyone here posting regularly for more than 6 months. Case by Case for the rest of you.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2004, 05:10:42 am »

I cook for one often, but I don't make those "fancy" recipies that require "ingredients" or "skills" or "a stove"; no, I am a master of boiling rice, scrambling eggs and making sandwiches. And it is one sandwich that I will now share:
The Elvis:
Take two slices of bread, just smother both of them in peanut butter. Chop up half a banana into as thin slices as you can get; put in the peanut butter. Pour honey on top of the bananas. Close sandwich and toast. Apparently the King liked it with bacon, but I haven't tried it yet.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2004, 06:11:07 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I cook for one often, but I don't make those "fancy" recipies that require "ingredients" or "skills" or "a stove"; no, I am a master of boiling rice, scrambling eggs and making sandwiches. And it is one sandwich that I will now share:
The Elvis:
Take two slices of bread, just smother both of them in peanut butter. Chop up half a banana into as thin slices as you can get; put in the peanut butter. Pour honey on top of the bananas. Close sandwich and toast. Apparently the King liked it with bacon, but I haven't tried it yet.


Someone tonight mentioned a culinary favorite that I had never heard of and wish were still the case.  Bananna and Mayonaise.  That sounds disgusting to me, but two people swore it was delicious.  Were they putting me on or is this actally a tasty combination of foodstuffs?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2004, 06:29:36 am »

Sounds Nasty to me. But then someone had to be the first one to open up an oyster and go "hmmm. This looks good just the way it is".

I won't try that sammich though - there is too much food that actually looks and sounds good that I haven't tried yet.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2004, 04:34:43 pm »

pointless trivia:  Cornish Game Hens are just baby chickens, or I guess pre-teen chickens.  This horrified me when I was little.

http://www.switcheroo.com/Poultry.html
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2004, 04:55:51 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
pointless trivia:  Cornish Game Hens are just baby chickens, or I guess pre-teen chickens.  This horrified me when I was little.

http://www.switcheroo.com/Poultry.html


This is an interesting site.
It is very weird that among 'substitutes' for chicken they include ostrich. Although the rest of the options were more-or-less white meats, anyone who has seen ostrich would agree that it's similarity to BEEF is actually pretty striking and the ostrich would make a pretty poor chicken 'substitute'...
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2004, 05:02:22 pm »

Yeah, I've only had Emu, (ostrich cousin) and it's very much like a red meat, and I wouldn't ever recommend it as a chicken sub
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up